Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it okay not not wear a blazer to professional job interview Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a job interview for a social worker next week and I've tried in some Blazers and they don't look nice on me at all. I have wide shoulders so they don't suit me.

Could I get away with wearing this sort of outfit? The job has a salary of £31,000 per year.

http://www.matalan.co.uk/womens/coll...820/suit-dress

http://www.matalan.co.uk/product/det...toe-court-shoe

And a black cardigan

ReputationRep:
    Best to wear a dress shirt and skirt/pants, but that looks okay too

ReputationRep:
    That's perfectly acceptable business attire.

I'd give it no further thought than a mental 'tick' for appears professional if I was interviewing you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think you have to judge it from the vibe of the company. If they're a very stuffy "traditional" workplace then they may expect a blazer, otherwise they may just want "smart". People often talk about dressing for the job you want not the job you have, but I prefer to state that it's better to be too formal than too casual. I've almost always turned up to job interviews wearing suits, even for bar work.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Mezza362)
    I have a job interview for a social worker next week and I've tried in some Blazers and they don't look nice on me at all. I have wide shoulders so they don't suit me.

Could I get away with wearing this sort of outfit? The job has a salary of £31,000 per year.

http://www.matalan.co.uk/womens/coll...820/suit-dress

http://www.matalan.co.uk/product/det...toe-court-shoe

And a black cardigan
    What you've shown there is fine, the 'cardigan' is the issue. Is it a smart, tailored top that holds its shape, almost a 'knitted jacket', in which case it's fine as well. or is it a warm, snuggly 'keep me cosy' type top, in which case it's not. The guiding questions is, if you were your manager in this role, would you be happy sending a person out to represent the company, dressed like this? Certainly the dress and shoes would be accepted, it's the detail of 'cardigan' that matters now.

ReputationRep:
    Blazers aren't really workwear unless your job is selling yachts or international cricket captain.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't think blazers look too good on women, but that outfit is really nice apart from the cardigan.

ReputationRep:
    I also only have concerns about the cardigan. It seems a little too informal. Any idea what else I could wear? My shoulders are wide so it doesn't look nice or professional without anything covering my arms.

I might try and find a dress with sleeves

ReputationRep:
    I also only have concerns about the cardigan. It seems a little too informal. Any idea what else I could wear? My shoulders are wide so it doesn't look nice or professional without anything covering my arms.

I might try and find a dress with sleeves
    Wait, whats wrong with wide shoulders? It just makes your waist look slimmer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrhedgehog)
    Wait, whats wrong with wide shoulders? It just makes your waist look slimmer.
    If I dint cover my shoulders and arms I look like a body builder!

ReputationRep:
    If I dint cover my shoulders and arms I look like a body builder!
    Nothing wrong with that, but doubt you will. Try a dress with upper arms and shoulders covered?

ReputationRep:
    I think a black dress would look nice. I have loads of pencil skirts but none are plain enough for an interview. Same with my blouses.

I have bought a grey dress but I'm not completely sure on it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.