The Student Room Group

What is the point of carpets?

They weren't even a thing until the 70s. They're bad for your health because they create so much dust and are a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, they trap bad smells and are a nightmare to clean, they look nowhere near as good as a wooden, or even laminate floor, they're just ****.
Reply 1
Hi Rob,

Another negative point about the carpet that you'll need to add to your list is that it's extremely flammable.

However,

One of the reason somebody may choose is a carpet is because it's softer and warmer compared to a wooden floor. I would recommend devising a table which would firstly, list carpet or wood giving the user an option to choose which he/she/it would prefer. You could then list different options which they could select dependant on the reason for choosing their selected material.

You can then gather your results and add them to a bar chart or another chart of your choice. I'm sure we would all be interested to hear about your findings.

Goose
I know what you mean, carpets are weird and I honestly prefer hard floors a lot more. I think they're easier to clean and look a lot more tidier tbh.
Carpets are comfy and look good.
when u have an itchy back you can lie down on carpet and spin round in circles. these carpet gyrations are a good enough reason alone to have carpet
Original post by RobML
They weren't even a thing until the 70s. They're bad for your health because they create so much dust and are a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, they trap bad smells and are a nightmare to clean, they look nowhere near as good as a wooden, or even laminate floor, they're just ****.

economy when they first came to fruition as wood was expensive and laminate didn't exist until the 80's in the common market so you had cold vinyl or soft carpet

Quick Reply