The Student Room Group

Declaring GCSE grades being an international applicant?

I am an Italian student who's willing to apply for an British university for a joint degree in History and German.

I've spent my fourth year of Italian College as an exchange student in York, North Yorkshire, doing A levels and sitting my AS Exams in French, German and History.

Now I've come back to Italy to do my fifth and last year of high school, so I'm going to apply as international student.

While I was in York, I had to sit the GCSE English Language and GCSE Maths Exam (those designed for English students, not iGCSE) because as an International A-level student, the government said I had to (so it was mandatory and not my choice).

Now I don't know if I should declare these grades on UCAS, because being an International student I am not expected to have them and they do not really matter.

I have no problem in showing my English grade (that it was B, therefore quite good knowing I am not British).

On the other side, my Maths Grade was dreadful (E), because they put us International students in the course only in late January as they found out we had to do GCSE Maths last minute. With only six months of lessons (one lesson per week), it should not surprise you that I arrived at the exam with a very poor preparation (and Maths is not my cup of tea, so imagine the situation!)

One of my options is Cambridge, so I am worried that this would look very bad on my application. What should I do? Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Haleri

Yes, you have to declare them. There's no way around it.
Reply 2
Original post by Haleri
One of my options is Cambridge, so I am worried that this would look very bad on my application. What should I do? Any advice?

As Zacken said you have to declare the grades.

If you apply to Cambridge you complete a form called the SAQ. You can use that to tell them about the circumstances, especially regarding the Maths grade. It's unlikely to disadvantage your application.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/saq

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you both for the help. At the end I have received my GCSE grades via mail and I have actually got a D in Maths instead of an E (not extraordinary but slightly better!). I have added al qualifications to my UCAS application now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending