Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I have just enrolled on a college course to try and do something with my days other than feeling sorry for myself in bed. I'm not sure how well it's going to go because on my opening day, there was too many people and my anxiety almost got the best of me.

Because of how bad my anxiety has been getting, I have been doing my shopping at a closer supermarket daily rather than walking into town to do cheaper food shopping once or twice a week. I have just started college and because I am NOT on PIP, I was wondering if my ESA was going to be stopped? I'm not sure if my age matters, but I am 23 and on high rate ESA for having borderline personality disorder
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Is the course part time or full time? You can't get ESA if you're full time and not on PIP or DLA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Is the course part time or full time? You can't get ESA if you're full time and not on PIP or DLA.
    I think it's Full time. Do I apply for PIP or income support?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by haxzan)
    I think it's Full time. Do I apply for PIP or income support?
    You can apply for PIP if you meet the criteria. You can only get income support if you're a carer or lone parent of a child under 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You can apply for PIP if you meet the criteria. You can only get income support if you're a carer or lone parent of a child under 5.
    okay thank you

ReputationRep:
    You can only get ESA in full time education if you also get PIP/DLA.
    As for applying for PIP, it's a long and quite frankly awful process (speaking as someone with BPD) but worth it in the end. Make sure you get copies of all your care plans/mental health team letters as it will save you a lot of hassle.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jemmaaa0853)
    As for applying for PIP, it's a long and quite frankly awful process (speaking as someone with BPD) but worth it in the end. Make sure you get copies of all your care plans/mental health team letters as it will save you a lot of hassle.
    Good luck
    Do you mind me asking on what grounds you got PIP? I've been suggested to apply a couple of times but I don't know if I'm eligible. I have BPD, depression, GAD amd EDNOS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Do you mind me asking on what grounds you got PIP? I've been suggested to apply a couple of times but I don't know if I'm eligible. I have BPD, depression, GAD amd EDNOS.
    I am diagnosed with dep/anx, ADD and BPD. However, PIP is really focused on functional impairment rather than what conditions you actually have. So like my dx in themselves don't get me any points, but I had to prove the impact it had on my daily life which I did through sending copies of my care plans/hospital letters etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jemmaaa0853)
    Good luck
    You have care plans and mental health teams? My sister has suffered from BPD her entire adult life. She went to see a Psychiatrist a few times and group therapy, but that was it. She is now 57 years old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    You have care plans and mental health teams? My sister has suffered from BPD her entire adult life. She went to see a Psychiatrist a few times and group therapy, but that was it. She is now 57 years old.
    I have very little support now, as I'm almost 19.
    However until I was 18 I was under Child and Adolescent MH services so I received a lot more support. I have other diagnoses too and have been in hospital as a result of my illnesses which meant I had a care coordinator etc.
    As I'm now an 'adult' there's bloody nothing, so I do understand her, and your, frustration.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.