Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    SFE have replaced the Special Support Grant with a higher loan for vulnerable students. My questions are, does this Special Support Loan still count as income (unlike the grant equivalent)? And is it likely to be split over 42 weeks or the entire year?My concern is, as a disabled student, I'm entitled to some income related benefits but with this change, if it's counted as income I may lose all my benefits. This might sound strange as you're getting more money but you're *definitely* losing out by having an extra grand counted as income as you lose your housing benefit which is like £7,000 of entitlement! Being disabled it's not like working along side uni is an option.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I've had to google this. Whilst I did hear something about there being a higher loan amount for disabled students, like you, I wasn't aware how it would affect your benefits.

I've just found the following:
    Loans for living costs if you’re entitled to certain benefits
    You can receive more support with living costs than other students if you qualify for certain benefits such as Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment. The loan has a maintenance element and a special support element. The special support element will be ignored as income for means-tested benefits. New students not living with their parents can get a maximum loan of £11,671 if studying in London and £9,347 if studying outside London. For students living at home with their parents the maximum loan available is £8,144.
    From -
    http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/fu...abled-students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I've had to google this. Whilst I did hear something about there being a higher loan amount for disabled students, like you, I wasn't aware how it would affect your benefits.

I've just found the following:

From -
    http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/fu...abled-students
    omg thank you, I was searching DisabilityRights for ages, but couldn't find that haha. This is perfect. That website is such a great resource too, so I know I can quote it if I run into trouble! *is suddenly more relaxed* Thanks~

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.