Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I don't want to say goodbye to everyone (or my dog ) I'm not ready for the work, having to make new friends again and the drinking culture lol help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just have fun... we are all going to die in the end.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    It's not that bad, as someone who has done it twice! Obviously I can only speak for my experience and that of people I know but you'll have an amazing time im sure

Before I left for uni I hadn't been away from home and my parents for more than a few nights and was incredibly shy. I found that I settled in surprisingly well and didn't end up going back home for a whole month. Making friends at uni is easy, as you're all in the same boat. You just sort of hang around together as a big group at first and gradually smaller groups of friends are formed, but it's generally much less effort than making friends IRL as you all live in the same place/see each other every day/go out together.*

The drinking culture isn't as bad as the media would have you believe, yeah some people take it to extremes but you just take it at your own pace. Not everyone drinks, and you'll find a lot of people with a similar view.*

Good luck!!*
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    You'll be fine

You don't have to drink, there's other cultures besides getting hammered every night...

ReputationRep:
    I was not terrified or anything but was really worried about all the study load and exams, glad its all over.

Edit: Didnt read the OP I guess I am not qualified to post in this thread.

I'm dreading leaving my rabbit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lularose83)
    I don't want to say goodbye to everyone (or my dog ) I'm not ready for the work, having to make new friends again and the drinking culture lol help
    Yep I'm exactly the same. I don't understand how most people are so excited I'm terrified. I'm really not in with the culture of drinking and partying constantly so I can already tell I'm not going to fit in. I don't want to leave my family or my pets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lularose83)
    I'm excited. I'm slightly nervous to make a new start with new friends and so on, but I've almost managed to keep the best bits of my old life with me. My absolute best friend is going to the same uni as me which I'm so thankful about. My university also isn't too far from my parents, so I might drive down every weekend / other weekend for dinner or something.

You'll be fine. Be the absolute best version of yourself and don't be anything that you aren't.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.