Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with the English GCSE course, I'm currently in Year 11 and need to push all of my B grades to an A* for my exam, as I am thinking about taking English at A-Levels. My teacher is average and can't give me any advice as to what needs to be done to get the A* (or a level 9 as it now is in the AQA course)

Any specific resources or past essays that got you an A* at GCSE would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time on TSR, can't wait to see how it turns out

Kind regards,
    sh1vaan1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh1vaan1)
    Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with the English GCSE course, I'm currently in Year 11 and need to push all of my B grades to an A* for my exam, as I am thinking about taking English at A-Levels. My teacher is average and can't give me any advice as to what needs to be done to get the A* (or a level 9 as it now is in the AQA course)

Any specific resources or past essays that got you an A* at GCSE would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time on TSR, can't wait to see how it turns out

Kind regards,
    sh1vaan1
    I didn't revise for English at all; when I did the converse for my mocks, it all went wrong!

Here are my English Literature exam marks:
    Unit 1 - (OMAM and AIC) - 60/68 = A*
    Unit 2 - Poetry - 27/54 = B (ruined my chances of an A*)

I wasn't even expecting a C. The one tip I have is write a load of *******s but in the best way possible. If you're well spoken, you should be sorted. I hadn't even read both of the books since Year 9 but I plucked random quotes from the extracts and explained the subtle implications within them.

For English Language:
    Unit 1 - 45/80 - B

This is just a test of how fast you can think and put ideas on a page. Just learn how to approach questions.

P.S. I have never read a book outside English lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Nice job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh1vaan1)
    Hi everyone,

Kind regards,
    sh1vaan1
    I got an A* in English language and an A in literature. I would advice lots of practice especially for those 3 types of practice questions in the language exam if you're doing ice question. I struggled with the summary question throughout GCSEs (i know most people find that to be the easiest but I genuinely hated it!), however, I practised a few times and lucky the article we were meant to summarise turned out to be quite straightforward (!) I felt as though because I enjoyed English I was naturally good at but just practise a lot. About past papers- there are only so many you've got access to (atleast that's the case for ocr gateway) so just find some articles online and make up a question for it using examples from past paper. Also, and this goes for lit and both sections of language, practising speed planning is vital as it, whilst it's easy to anticipate questions, anticipating extracts and articles (especially articles) is pretty difficult. In terms of literature, open up a random page in your novels and play and again make up a similar question for it to those that come up in exams and plan (you can do some answers but our teacher always focuses on speed planning
    Plus remember, don't be let down with the Bs you get- I always wanted A/A* in English but would mostly get Bs with just some As and occasionally A* in the answers I'd write ( including controlled assessments) but came out with what I wanted at the end with hardwork. The grades your teachers give you may be completely write as they have standards but the grades can be influenced by the mere fact that they know you and what your capable so really your teacher maybe capable of a much better grade so even though they use markschemes, they may still be a little strict, whereas, though I don't want to make you too confident, examiners just simply want to get their marking over and done with so as long as your writing is clear and analytical, they will give you the marks. When it comes to literature you obviously have to be very analytical. My first teacher recommended we go with the extract question as you'd still need to refer to novel as a whole but extract questions focus heavily on the extracts. My second teacher felt we should go with the whole text question as it enabled us to refer to lots of bits in the novel/play but left things open
    Also, make sure you retread all your novels and play and if you're aren't doing unseen poetry than the poems also so as to make sure you remember quotations as finding them in the exams wastes times but having said I don't actually think you will be allowed to bring in the texts anymore so just clarify that bit with your teacher. Hope I helped!
    Good luck
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A* is 8, 9 is the top 20% of A*

ReputationRep:
    When you pick out quotes try to choose the ones that could be used in like alot of contexts and themes. Also, When you analyse a quote, really go into detail , like write everything you can think about related to it. The best thing to do is just getting into the practiceeof writing paragraphs on the spot and analyzing quotes.

Perhaps, try re reading your books or something? Before the exam, it's good to memorize a few 'high vocab' words which you can write down on the side of the margin when u write the essay. I've been getting 28-30 ion all my English exams so far and in the most recent one, I got 117/118. I honestly don't haveaparticular technique that I use but I guess the best thing to do is practice and like have a list of things that u would analyse in any given quote or things you would talk about like structure/punctuation...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.