Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would like some advice on getting work experience in hospitals or GP surgeries. I have 8 A*s and 2 As at GCSE and 4 As at AS level in the 3 sciences and Maths. I have volunteered for youth organisations and special needs charities. I've not actually tried to get into hospitals and would like some advice before I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What sort of advice are you looking for? *How to find something? *What to do?

A lot of people seek to do something that sounds really good like neurosurgery or cardiothoracics. *In reality, the best kind of work experience s going to be something that gives you a good idea of a doctor's day to job. *Interview panels aren't going to be impressed that you've watched brain surgery. *They're going to want to see that you have a realistic view of what being a doctor entails. * In terms of hospital medicine, the best places to get some good experience that will help you to reflect and understand, are general medical wards / medical specialties such as geriatrics, stroke, respiratory, gastroenterology etc etc, also A&E, acute medical admissions units… *Spending some time with a GP would also be useful experience.

Think carefully about what it is that you want to learn (about being a doctor), any specific questions that you have. *Because work experience is not just tick-box for your application, but it IS your chance to actually see what the job / career entails and to decide if it might be right for you. *Then try to organise the experience based on this.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'd take amything medically related. Any experience in a medical setting will allow me to learn more about the profession. The advice I was really looking for was how to apply/seek experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.