Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I haven't met his family after 8 months. Watch

Hi everybody.

I've been dating this guy for just over 8 months now, i haven't met his family and never been to his house.

I have his address and vice versa we see each other quite frequently and i often bring it up and i always get ''I'll speak to mum later''...''later'' comes and goes and none the wiser.

Once he did ask and she said no due to them being very crowded which i understand, his sisters boyfriend lives with them in a 3 bedroom house and there is 5 of them living under the roof, so of course i understand it's cramped.

I've asked to meet them in a restaurant if it's to cramped at their house he said he would arrange it and never did.

How do i approach this without him feeling under attack?, i haven't met any of his friends neither apparently he doesn't have many friends where he lives (He lives in a tiny village perhaps 20-30 houses if that) so i can somewhat understand that.

Please Help.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you are reading more into it than there is or maybe he just isn't ready. I'm sure when he is it will be OK X

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend didn't meet my family until about the 2 year mark.
    Calm down.

I met my bf's mum after 4 years of dating..we've been dating for 5 years and I only met his mum once...and I've never met his friends...he loves me..but he isn't the type of guy to introduce me to everyone..it sucks i guess..but what is important is if he loves you..don't rush him. You should do things with him and your friends and family more often..that might encourage him

ReputationRep:
    He's probably not ready for such step yet. Give the guy time. Asking him can you finally meet them is not going to make anything better.

ReputationRep:
    Even if I loved a girl and wanted a lifelong relationship I would have nightmares about showing her my family... Maybe he doesn't have the best relationship with his family, or wants to keep you and them separate for good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everybody.

I've been dating this guy for just over 8 months now, i haven't met his family and never been to his house.

I have his address and vice versa we see each other quite frequently and i often bring it up and i always get ''I'll speak to mum later''...''later'' comes and goes and none the wiser.

Once he did ask and she said no due to them being very crowded which i understand, his sisters boyfriend lives with them in a 3 bedroom house and there is 5 of them living under the roof, so of course i understand it's cramped.

I've asked to meet them in a restaurant if it's to cramped at their house he said he would arrange it and never did.

How do i approach this without him feeling under attack?, i haven't met any of his friends neither apparently he doesn't have many friends where he lives (He lives in a tiny village perhaps 20-30 houses if that) so i can somewhat understand that.

Please Help.
    The day when your girlfriend meets your family is terrifying. I don't think there's much you can say to meet them sooner, but he'll inevitably sooner or later realise that they need to meet you and vice versa.

Thank You.

ReputationRep:
    So, you haven't met any of his family yet - no siblings even? Perhaps more strange is your not having met any of his friends either.

Is he very shy, quiet, unsociable? Does he not have any friends at all? If so I can understand it in a way. Perhaps he is worried you'll not like his family- perhaps he feels there not as rich, clever etc. as you are?

If on the other hand he is a normally friendly sort of chap - confident socially even, then I'd be wondering why he's kept you away from anyone who knows him. It could be that there is more to him than you might expect: that there are things he doesn't want you to find out. He may have a girl friend at home. He may be married. He may have lied about his job.

Only you know which category he falls into.

We both live in the middle of nowhere tbh, with very little around us except Countryside so i can understand his friends are not local.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.