English literature at university

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I really want to study english literature at university. I'm about to start A-levels next week, I'm doing English literature, English language, History, and French. For GCSE I got 6 A's (Core Science, Additional Science, Maths, English language, Geography, R.E.) 5 B's (English literature, History, French, Spanish, Japanese) and 1 C (Textiles). I really want to study English literature somewhere like Glasgow University? Would I be in with a chance with these GCSE's? (Also people keep telling me that French is really difficult, and that with a B I will probably fail? Is that true?) Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rekishiya4)
    I really want to study english literature at university. I'm about to start A-levels next week, I'm doing English literature, English language, History, and French. For GCSE I got 6 A's (Core Science, Additional Science, Maths, English language, Geography, R.E.) 5 B's (English literature, History, French, Spanish, Japanese) and 1 C (Textiles). I really want to study English literature somewhere like Glasgow University? Would I be in with a chance with these GCSE's? (Also people keep telling me that French is really difficult, and that with a B I will probably fail? Is that true?) Thank you
    Your main point of call would be http://search.ucas.com/ love.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to study English literature somewhere like Glasgow University? Would I be in with a chance with these GCSE's?
    Most universities will be paying a lot more attention to your A Levels than to your GCSEs: a good batch of As at A Level will outshine the GCSEs and a less good set of A Level grades will make the GCSEs the least of your problems. If you're concerned, check UCAS and Glasgow's website and see what the specific stated normal requirements are. If you go to any open days you can ask whether they pay much attention to GCSEs.

(Also people keep telling me that French is really difficult, and that with a B I will probably fail? Is that true?) Thank you
    To my mind, as someone who teaches English at a university, having some background in other languages is a distinct advantage for a student—you've probably already learned a bit more about English from stepping outside it in your French, Spanish and Japanese GCSEs. And some of the more literary bits of most language A Levels are similar to the kinds of study you do in English. So a good A Level grade in French would impress me quite a lot.

I don't think getting a B in it at GCSE means you'll necessarily fail, but it might mean that you need to buckle down. Language learning, even more than most other subjects, really benefits from daily, little-and-often repetition and practice well in advance of the time when you get round to exam-focused revision. So if you haven't in the past thought about ways to fit in a little bit of independent study and practice for French five or six days a week (it could be just fifteen or twenty-five minutes) then this might be the time to start. But that's just one thought—you can talk to your A Level teachers about your prospects and ways you can find to improve.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.