Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I start A-levels next week and am REALLY nervous. I've applied to do English literature, English language, History, and French. I am absolutely terrified of starting French. At GCSE I got a B in French. (GCSE: 6 A's, 5 B's, and 1 C in total. B in english literature and history, A in English language.) I'm worried I wont be good enough to study French A-level, and I'd like to get either an A or B at A-level. Is this possible? Also the speaking exams look awful, any advice? Should I do it? Useful tips for studying? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rekishiya4)
    I start A-levels next week and am REALLY nervous. I've applied to do English literature, English language, History, and French. I am absolutely terrified of starting French. At GCSE I got a B in French. (GCSE: 6 A's, 5 B's, and 1 C in total. B in english literature and history, A in English language.) I'm worried I wont be good enough to study French A-level, and I'd like to get either an A or B at A-level. Is this possible? Also the speaking exams look awful, any advice? Should I do it? Useful tips for studying? Thank you
    I've just finished AS French and it's hard but very rewarding. The speaking exams can (and do!) seem daunting at first, but with plenty of practice you can get through them without too many nerves (hopefully!).
    I would advise that you practice vocabulary regularly (Quizlet is an excellent site for this) and be sure not to fall behind. Practice your grammar and do your homework on time and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    With a B at GCSE it will be difficult to be honest, i know a lot of people with A*s at GCSE received Ds at AS. That said, if you are willing to work REALLY hard and spend at least 30 mins-1 hour a day reviewing vocab and doing listening exercises on top of homework, there is no reason you wont be able to achieve a B or an A. I found it by far the most demanding a Level but also the most rewarding and it is very well respected by unis. The speaking exam isnt as bad as it sounds, the essays are the killers. I'd give it a go and if you can stay on top of it continue and if not drop it and do something else. Good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.