Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Economics B Paper 1, 2 & 3: 9EB0 01, 02 & 03 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 watch

For anyone doing the A2 subject sitting the papers in June this year

Exam Dates:

Markets and how they work: 6th June pm (2hrs)
    Competing in the global economy: 13th June pm (2hrs)
    The economic environment and business: 19th June pm (2hrs)

Remember paper 3 is the pre-release

bump

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing the B spec rather than the A spec? I must admit that I have been a little disappointed at how much of a crossover there has been with Business Studies in this spec - the A spec looks a lot more like actual core Economics. Don't get me wrong there is actual Economics involved (obviously) but I just find some topics (e.g. pricing strategies, market research, product life cycle, quality control, etc) a little dull and they seem to often be common sense based and not challenging enough. And by the way, I'm applying for 5 Economics courses as uni (I've just started A2). This certainly hasn't put me off studying Economics at degree level, it's just I feel as though the A spec looks a lot better.

On the plus side there seems to be a very big crossover between AS and A2 topics, which limits the overall amount of work to revise for when the 3 exams come in May/June.

Anyone else found this?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Love this idea of a thread, thx for making one. Would be nice if we can all share tips+revision material to prep for June. How did you do at AS btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joddcfc)
    Anyone else doing the B spec rather than the A spec? I must admit that I have been a little disappointed at how much of a crossover there has been with Business Studies in this spec - the A spec looks a lot more like actual core Economics. Don't get me wrong there is actual Economics involved (obviously) but I just find some topics (e.g. pricing strategies, market research, product life cycle, quality control, etc) a little dull and they seem to often be common sense based and not challenging enough. And by the way, I'm applying for 5 Economics courses as uni (I've just started A2). This certainly hasn't put me off studying Economics at degree level, it's just I feel as though the A spec looks a lot better.

On the plus side there seems to be a very big crossover between AS and A2 topics, which limits the overall amount of work to revise for when the 3 exams come in May/June.

Anyone else found this?
    I would agree with you, content definitely feels slightly dry and common sense based. Timing of the exam is poor as well, how did you do at AS? And do you want to share tips+notes. It seems most people are doing Econ A not seen many Econ B on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerrardnyc)
    I would agree with you, content definitely feels slightly dry and common sense based. Timing of the exam is poor as well, how did you do at AS? And do you want to share tips+notes. It seems most people are doing Econ A not seen many Econ B on here.
    Yeah definitely. Why, when is the exam? Managed to get an A, what about you? Was pleasantly surprised about the low grade boundaries! More than happy to share notes and tips

How much revision have you both done so far

Yeah definitely. Why, when is the exam? Managed to get an A, what about you? Was pleasantly surprised about the low grade boundaries! More than happy to share notes and tips
    (Original post by Gerrardnyc)
    Love this idea of a thread, thx for making one. Would be nice if we can all share tips+revision material to prep for June. How did you do at AS btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyshaU)
    How much revision have you both done so far
    Haven't started yet to be honest, was focusing on UCAS and EPQ. Hoping to start doing around 3 hours a week in December, you?

Haven't started yet to be honest, was focusing on UCAS and EPQ. Hoping to start doing around 3 hours a week in December, you?
    I've only done Theme 3 Chapter 1
    Feel massively behind

How much have you been taught?

ReputationRep:
    I've only done Theme 3 Chapter 1
    Feel massively behind

How much have you been taught?
    Roughly half way through theme 3 and about a quarter through theme 4, although I can't help but think that we've missed things out. Does look like you're quite a while behind ngl, but the good thing is that the content is very similar to AS - it's just a matter of going over things and adding to them.

We've done Theme 3 til chapter 9 and theme 4 till chapter 10
    Notes I've not done much but I think I do know it and just need to recap
    We have a mock after christmas on both books what we've done so far so we'll see

we have a test every 6 weeks too

ReputationRep:
    We've done Theme 3 til chapter 9 and theme 4 till chapter 10
    Notes I've not done much but I think I do know it and just need to recap
    We have a mock after christmas on both books what we've done so far so we'll see

we have a test every 6 weeks too
    Ahh okay, I thought you meant you've only been taught theme 3 chapter 1! Are you classifying chapters as in the chapters in the revision guidebook by Nancy Wall and Brian Ellis?

Ahh okay, I thought you meant you've only been taught theme 3 chapter 1! Are you classifying chapters as in the chapters in the revision guidebook by Nancy Wall and Brian Ellis?
    No, chapters from the actual text book

ReputationRep:
    No, chapters from the actual text book
    Ah right, sounds like we are at similar levels on theme 3 but that you're ahead on theme 4 slightly

Ah right, sounds like we are at similar levels on theme 3 but that you're ahead on theme 4 slightly
    good to know we aren't too behind

We've just got theme 4 chapter 10 exam style question for homework

we've suddenly begun jumping topics for some odd reason

ReputationRep:
    good to know we aren't too behind

We've just got theme 4 chapter 10 exam style question for homework

we've suddenly begun jumping topics for some odd reason
    Don't even think we get questions from that book - our teachers just make them up...

Don't even think we get questions from that book - our teachers just make them up...
    Does that seem to help or...

WE get exam style questions every week (sometimes 2 a week because we have 2 different teachers)

ReputationRep:
    Does that seem to help or...

WE get exam style questions every week (sometimes 2 a week because we have 2 different teachers)
    Nah would prefer actual questions from the book, as long as they aren't what I call "general studies questions" that seem to involve no economic knowledge at all😂 We also have two different teachers

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.