Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, So I'm in lower sixth at the moment and I have attended my physics lesson today, and the teacher was asking who does AS maths as well, but I didnt raise my hand up because I dont. My options are : Eng LANG, Physics, Chemistry.

I then stayed back for 5 mins with the teacher talking about my careers ( I want to be a radiographer), he said it would be useful if I switch english to maths.

But does it matter if I dont do AS maths and do Physics in alevels? I'm just worried that I wouldn't catch up or do well.

I have a B in my GCSE in maths and physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelseymansum)
    Okay, So I'm in lower sixth at the moment and I have attended my physics lesson today, and the teacher was asking who does AS maths as well, but I didnt raise my hand up because I dont. My options are : Eng LANG, Physics, Chemistry.

I then stayed back for 5 mins with the teacher talking about my careers ( I want to be a radiographer), he said it would be useful if I switch english to maths.

But does it matter if I dont do AS maths and do Physics in alevels? I'm just worried that I wouldn't catch up or do well.

I have a B in my GCSE in maths and physics.
    I would recommend taking it because Physics is a hard subject as it is. However, some people in my College don't take it and they have Maths lessons every Friday after school, perhaps that's an option?

ReputationRep:
    I did both A level Maths and Physics and I would definitely say that you need Maths in order to properly do the Physics (especially at A2) and I would say that unless you are very talented and could teach yourself Maths at home that you should do Maths, whether that means swapping it with English or taking extra classes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing A Level physics without Maths. It's not hard so long as you put your mind to it and focus. You should really be doing the subject you are good at so if you are good at English and not good at Maths don't take it because it will only make your life harder. P.S I'm applying to Radiography as well this year with Physics, English, Biology and Urdu.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say you need maths to do well in AS Physics, it does require a style of thinking that can be hard without maths but is by no means impossible. I think only 1 person in our class didn't take Maths but she also slacked in other subjects and got a U so it wasn't completely because of Maths. Maybe have a read ahead into the mechanics parts of your textbook and try the questions to see if you can get a hang of it.
    If you plan to do A2 Physics I would definitely recommend Maths with mechanics modules as they often have things like circular motion, simple harmonic motion which I'd imagine would be very tough if you hadn't seen mechanics questions like that before.

ReputationRep:
    The maths in physics a levels is kept annoyingly simplistic, this has actually been brought up in a negative light by my teacher at college and uni interviewers who all say at minimum it should include at least basic integration/differentiation. So to answer your question if you spend a couple hours a week on pure maths and ask your physics teacher/classmates which areas of maths are required physics is more than doable at A level without maths.

Having said that I would switch to maths, while you are wanting to be a radiographer now you would be surprised how many people change their minds during A levels, I had a friend who wanted to be a doctor, got good enough grades but after two weeks working at a local hospital changed his mind after seeing working conditions of junior doctors etc. He applied to geology and wished he had done maths/physics because he could have got onto a greater range of courses ie geophysics etc. I also wanted to do bioengineering but switched to physics.

I think taking maths would be a much safer option, in case 12 months down the line you decide to switch to say chem/bioengineering as maths is a requirement for those courses. If your other A levels weren't STEM then I wouldn't be worried but they are so you may as well take maths as its much more complimentary to those fields/career paths in which you seem to be interested in/good at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    I'm doing A Level physics without Maths. It's not hard so long as you put your mind to it and focus. You should really be doing the subject you are good at so if you are good at English and not good at Maths don't take it because it will only make your life harder. P.S I'm applying to Radiography as well this year with Physics, English, Biology and Urdu.

Because I really enjoy doing English and I cant say Im not good at maths but I just dont enjoy it.
    My school does offer extra support if I needed them , I may talk to my teacher on monday about it!

Can I ask you a question? You know you didn't take maths and you took english instead, Would university prefer a person who does maths over a person who does english alevels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philo-jitsu)
    The maths in physics a levels is kept annoyingly simplistic, this has actually been brought up in a negative light by my teacher at college and uni interviewers who all say at minimum it should include at least basic integration/differentiation. So to answer your question if you spend a couple hours a week on pure maths and ask your physics teacher/classmates which areas of maths are required physics is more than doable at A level without maths.

Having said that I would switch to maths, while you are wanting to be a radiographer now you would be surprised how many people change their minds during A levels, I had a friend who wanted to be a doctor, got good enough grades but after two weeks working at a local hospital changed his mind after seeing working conditions of junior doctors etc. He applied to geology and wished he had done maths/physics because he could have got onto a greater range of courses ie geophysics etc. I also wanted to do bioengineering but switched to physics.

I think taking maths would be a much safer option, in case 12 months down the line you decide to switch to say chem/bioengineering as maths is a requirement for those courses. If your other A levels weren't STEM then I wouldn't be worried but they are so you may as well take maths as its much more complimentary to those fields/career paths in which you seem to be interested in/good at.

My school does offer a bit of support for us so should I talk to my physics teacher about the maths bit when I don't understand?
    I really don't mind staying back everyday and study because I have expected I'll have to do this in alevels.

My mum doesn't want me switch to maths because she said it'll be risky and English also offers a wide range of opportunities as well (The worst case is being an english teacher).

Science is my favourite subject, I enjoy doing physics and discovering, I can't say I'm bad at maths , it's just that I don't enjoy doing maths in maths lessons, physics is a different kind of maths , thats why I chose it.
    I am literally so confused at the moment, there is a University open day tomorrow about my course so I might ask them for more questions.

ReputationRep:
    Because I really enjoy doing English and I cant say Im not good at maths but I just dont enjoy it.
    My school does offer extra support if I needed them , I may talk to my teacher on monday about it!

Can I ask you a question? You know you didn't take maths and you took english instead, Would university prefer a person who does maths over a person who does english alevels?
    I don't think so - I don't know about England but the university requirements in Scotland don't require you to have A Level (or Higher in Scots system) maths and simply require you to have a pass at GCSE (or National 5 in Scots' system) at B or C grade and two science A Levels for Radiography. In fact, I have put down Glasgow as one of my choices and they have actually asked for English at A Level and merely a pass at GCSE Maths.

You could always phone up your universities and check to see which they would prefer.

Having said that, you should think about your back up plans and see if they require maths and if they do then you should obviously take it. But merely for Radiography, I don't think A Level maths is completely necessary.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so - I don't know about England but the university requirements in Scotland don't require you to have A Level (or Higher in Scots system) maths and simply require you to have a pass at GCSE (or National 5 in Scots' system) at B or C grade and two science A Levels for Radiography. In fact, I have put down Glasgow as one of my choices and they have actually asked for English at A Level and merely a pass at GCSE Maths.

You could always phone up your universities and check to see which they would prefer.

Thank you very much, but did you find Physics a level hard without doing AS maths ?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, but did you find Physics a level hard without doing AS maths ?
    Yeah it is a bit difficult but if you stick to it and focus it shouldn't be that difficult. Just keep on top of your coursework and revision throughout the year and you should be good. I can definitely say that in my class people who did Maths and Physics found it easier but to me it wasn't impossible, just had to do a bit of extra work but I really enjoyed it none the less.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is a bit difficult but if you stick to it and focus it shouldn't be that difficult. Just keep on top of your coursework and revision throughout the year and you should be good. I can definitely say that in my class people who did Maths and Physics found it easier but to me it wasn't impossible, just had to do a bit of extra work but I really enjoyed it none the less.

I do expect in alevels I would have to spend more time about it, maths is basically the only part im worried about in physics.
    I would start getting my head into it now! so I wouldnt fall behind.

Thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    Maths is a good all-purpose subject that will improve your chances of doing most subjects or careers. That being said, if you don't feel like you need it, and want to do Eng lang more, then do English.

ReputationRep:
    My school does offer a bit of support for us so should I talk to my physics teacher about the maths bit when I don't understand?
    I really don't mind staying back everyday and study because I have expected I'll have to do this in alevels.

My mum doesn't want me switch to maths because she said it'll be risky and English also offers a wide range of opportunities as well (The worst case is being an english teacher).

Science is my favourite subject, I enjoy doing physics and discovering, I can't say I'm bad at maths , it's just that I don't enjoy doing maths in maths lessons, physics is a different kind of maths , thats why I chose it.
    I am literally so confused at the moment, there is a University open day tomorrow about my course so I might ask them for more questions.
    If you enjoy science I would really go with maths, do you really want to be an english teacher? I didn't enjoy maths or physics during gcse, but having done a levels I have found maths to be just as incredible and fun to learn as physics is. If you view it as a chore you wont enjoy it but if you look at it as a language in which we can interpret the universe in other sciences it becomes far easier to appreciate it.

Im guessing your not even 18 yet? I could be wrong and I'd never tell someone to not take there parents advice but playing 'safe' and taking English at your age seems ridiculous. With the maths/physics/chemistry A levels there are far more opportunities for future employment, I would in fact say that is a much 'safer' option.

Once you start learning trig/differentiation and integration and you see how it applies to physics/architecture etc I am sure you will start to enjoy it much more.

But I am slightly biased, never did like English, entirely too subjective :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.