Turn on thread page Beta

58% first year - can I improve? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got an average of a 58% in my first year. I didn't work any where near hard enough so I suppose my mark is my own fault. What worries me is that I won't be able to improve in the next two years. My first year mark won't count but I hear that you tend to do worse in your second and third year because the work gets much harder. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I got 62% in my first year, got 67.5% overall

Just work harder it is all you can do, attend all lectures, speak to tutors etc. Basically become a swott.

ReputationRep:
    I also got bang on 58% in my first year, have just finished my second year and am now getting firsts. I wouldn't count on your first year grade as predicting what you're going to get for your second and third. Yeah the work is a lot harder, but the first year is like a kind of preparation for that hard work.

ReputationRep:
    You can choose modules you enjoy doing more, which should hopefully make your grade higher.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    if you can choose modules - my course has no electives..

Its just about learning from your grades - is there any time you feel you could have put in more time to help improve assignmenet/revision etc. if the answer is yes, of course you can improve - you just need to be motivated to add the extra time/effort.

ReputationRep:
    My mother always told me "You can always improve if you try your best", and I think it's true, like you said, you didn't work as hard as you could in your first year, so if you do in these next two years, you should be able to improve.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can improve.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can. If you didn't work hard enough this year, all you need to do next year and the year after is work as hard as you can and you should be able to get a 2.1, especially as you were only 2 marks off that this year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what I got in the first year but in the end I ended up with 69.5% Because of that I had to do a "viva voce" (sp) to see if I would be bumped up from a 2:1 to a first. Unfortunately I ****ed it up and failed to impress the external interviewers so ended up with a 2:1 anyway.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.