The Student Room Group

Mental Oxbridge complex?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drowsybun
I want to know if anyone has this, or if anyone could help me out.

I've developed this complex recently that only Oxbridge is good enough, and all other unis are rubbish. I know it's unhealthy to think that way- I think it's probably due to me wanting to prove myself to my family? They're all ridiculously high achieving and all that, and I feel like I'd be a disappointment unless I got into Oxbridge, even if I got into one of the other Russel Group unis. Becuase I fell back in one of my As papers, thus severely weakening my grade (which would have been very good if it were just the coursework), unfortunately... Cambridge isn't in my sights anymore (though I'm still going to try applying)

Does anyone have any ideas that I could get over this complex? Or are any of you are suffering from the same thing?

I wouldn't say I suffer from the same thing but I'm applying for Oxford this fall... and I want to give it my best shot tbh.. but its not the end if I don't get in... Oxford is just... eh... whatever. I tried. I guess its because I come from a background that has never had anyone go to Oxbridge and i guess i kinda want to prove myself... But I guess being from my background I just don't feel like Oxbridge is that important...its an achievement to just get into University where I'm from. In fact I didn't know I could apply until early this year...I thought it was just rich kids who could apply... so I never thought about any of it. But I've been to both Oxford and Cambridge ... and I've loved every minute of it and that'll be enough for me.. It'll sure be a blow when I get rejected but I think I'll get over it soon enough :smile:
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Furthermore, it's extremely subjective on whether it's harder to meet an offer, or whether it's harder to get an interview, then get an offer. What happens if you get an A*A*A* offer then? That certainly seems harder then merely getting interviewed in the first place?

Your last paragraph is based entirely on opinion and doesn't really make sense. If I got a got an A*A*AA offer from Imperial, but an A*AA offer from Oxford for engineering, I'm just not gonna bother trying to go to imperial when I can go to Oxford with significantly less workload. They give what is typically mentioned, and only over-inflate when it's particulary competitive, like with chemistry last year - not for the sake of insurance or firm.

fam, getting into Oxbridge is more difficult than getting into Imperial, that's not a point of contention

people go to Oxford over Imperial because it's Oxford, lol, not because the offer's easier

Original post by DarkEnergy
x

lmfao you just copy-paste a guy's post for the rep
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't if this will make you feel better but I genuinely didn't want to go Oxbridge. I was pushed towards Cambridge and one look at their maths course made me think "kill me now" and I withdrew my application before my interview. My passions were not suited to Cambridge, I wasn't some maths prodigy who dreamed in maths I was a talented all rounder who was interested in applied statistics. Cambridge was unbelievably ill-suited for someone like me.

So at least one person actively didn't want to go to Oxbridge so they're not perfect. You just need to get some perspective.
Original post by StrangeBanana
fam, getting into Oxbridge is more difficult than getting into Imperial, that's not a point of contention

people go to Oxford over Imperial because it's Oxford, lol, not because the offer's easier

I'm pretty sure Imperial's A Level requirements for mutual subjects are generally higher than Oxford's....

And, not necessarily true, I'm sure you're aware of Imperial's superiority in engineering related disciplines, right?
lmfao you just copy-paste a guy's post for the rep

I referenced it at the start of my post and it applies here. Who cares about the rep? It does nothing, and if people want to they can rep the original post...
I'm pretty sure Imperial's A Level requirements for mutual subjects are generally higher than Oxford's....

And, not necessarily true, I'm sure you're aware of Imperial's superiority in engineering related disciplines, right?

I've said nothing to the contrary. Fulfilling your offer is the easy part, getting it is the bit where most people fail.

Again, I'm not disputing that. But most people still see Oxford/Cambridge as in a different tier to other universities, including Imperial - much to TSR Imperial students' butt-hurt, it seems
What we've got isn't very good. I'd wager, if anyone can find out, that Imperial's A*A*A statistic is higher than Oxford's. There's got to be a freedom of information request or something.

Also, STEM>Humanities for employment, prestige and literally everything else.

Is anyone else surprised about how much better Cambridge is than Oxford? Usually in general public, Oxford's seen as better.

Edit: Imperial's UCAS point total is higher than stated in the previous post
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/administration-and-support-services/planning/public/statistics-guides/Imperial-College-Statistics-Guide-2014-2015.pdf

I was talking about a few years ago.
Not the most recent one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to be like this and I'm glad that you've read some replies and you're trying to become less fixated on it. I luckily managed to get into Cambridge anyway, but there was a time in Year 12ish (before I applied) that I was so obsessed with getting in that it really affected my mental health and self worth. I thought that I'd be worth nothing if I didn't make it. Every time I didn't get a perfect score in a mock I would beat myself up so much... I felt like I had no future, that I hadn't done well enough, if I didn't get in. Like some people have said, I feel like it's the constant pressuring from schools/colleges and your teachers that sends you in the direction of that mentality. From the age of 13 my science teacher first suggested it and I got it in my mind that it was what I should be aiming for. I remember my French teacher in year 11 excitedly talked about it with me too. They made me feel like I should easily be able to do it? As if it was where I was meant for or something. Which is ridiculous, because applying and getting in is very, very difficult, and even extremely able people aren't selected sometimes, but they acted like it shouldn't be hard for me... so I thought if I didn't live up to that standard I'd somehow fallen short of the image people had of me and that really scared me. Because if I wasn't really as smart as they thought, that meant I was completely average, nothing special about me at all, a worthless person. I felt like all I had going for my was my academic talents.

In reality, there are some amazing people that get rejected from Oxbridge that go on to lead incredible lives after going to university elsewhere. There are still so many options that give you exciting opportunities and you're not worth any less if Oxbridge decide you're not for them and another place wants you instead. I think a lot of people have the mentality that it's the top or nothing, but Oxbridge are only ranked #1 in numbers and in peoples' brains, it doesn't mean they're best for you on paper. Other places can offer you an experience that's just as good, they can be your #1 university too. I managed to personally find courses in UCL and LSE that I'd love just as much after a good search, so after I got offers from them I was happily prepared for rejection from Cambridge if it was going to happen. It didn't happen, but it did happen to my friend, and she wasn't prepared like I was... she was still in that destructive mentality where it was 'the only place for her', and as a result we went to a party that week where she cried all over my shoulder all night and drank so much that she threw up all over the place and we considered calling an ambulance. So yeah, this isn't necessarily directed at you (I feel like you've already found other options) but if anyone else has that mentality, please, please do something about it, because it can end up pretty disastrous for your mental (and physical) health. This is a really long post but really I'm just using this as an opportunity to ramble about how badly that mentality affected me.
Original post by DarkEnergy
I referenced it at the start of my post and it applies here. Who cares about the rep? It does nothing, and if people want to they can rep the original post...

I think you'll find rep gives you an enormous e-penis
I've said nothing to the contrary. Fulfilling your offer is the easy part, getting it is the bit where most people fail.

Again, I'm not disputing that. But most people still see Oxford/Cambridge as in a different tier to other universities, including Imperial - much to TSR Imperial students' butt-hurt, it seems

Your first paragraph is utter subjectivity. As I mentioned earlier, both Imperial and Cambridge give out A*A*A* offers - this is harder to meet than getting past an interview.
And I'm sure you and I both know that in general, most people haven't a clue on university admissions. Most people believe Oxford is easily better than Cambridge, or that places like Bristol are better than Imperial or LSE, just because they haven't heard of them before.

Can I accept that Cambridge is better for Imperial for engineering? Yep.

Oxford? No way it's better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey! I'm just about to send off my application to the University of Oxford. About a month or two ago I was completely set on getting into Lancaster, but having gone through the Oxbridge application process I now only see those two as acceptable universities.

This is very silly because Lancaster also seems like a fantastic school and anyone would be lucky to go there. It's just the way things look when you look back. If you stopped trying for Oxbridge now, I guarantee you'd eventually start seeing other universities in a better light again.

However I am still hellbent on getting into Oxford. It's all I want right now, and I understand where you're coming from.
Original post by Someboady
I wouldn't say I suffer from the same thing but I'm applying for Oxford this fall... and I want to give it my best shot tbh.. but its not the end if I don't get in... Oxford is just... eh... whatever. I tried. I guess its because I come from a background that has never had anyone go to Oxbridge and i guess i kinda want to prove myself... But I guess being from my background I just don't feel like Oxbridge is that important...its an achievement to just get into University where I'm from. In fact I didn't know I could apply until early this year...I thought it was just rich kids who could apply... so I never thought about any of it. But I've been to both Oxford and Cambridge ... and I've loved every minute of it and that'll be enough for me.. It'll sure be a blow when I get rejected but I think I'll get over it soon enough :smile:

Great attitude man, best of luck. What course? *
Original post by PrinceUpsb
Great attitude man, best of luck. What course? *

Thank you! I'm applying for Computer Science :smile:
I think you'll find rep gives you an enormous e-penis

Good point, luckily I make up for my small e-peen IRL :wink:
Your first paragraph is utter subjectivity. As I mentioned earlier, both Imperial and Cambridge give out A*A*A* offers - this is harder to meet than getting past an interview.And I'm sure you and I both know that in general, most people haven't a clue on university admissions. Most people believe Oxford is easily better than Cambridge, or that places like Bristol are better than Imperial or LSE, just because they haven't heard of them before.Can I accept that Cambridge is better for Imperial for engineering? Yep.Oxford? No way it's better.

Well it's not, really, as plenty of people who fail to get an offer from Oxbridge get A*A*A. It's a lot more nuanced than "the uni with the highest offers is the best". It's probably the case that some Oxford offer-holders, who only need AAA to get in, don't work as hard for their A-levels as their Imperial counterparts, who need A*A*A. I know I'd be tempted to slack off a bit.

I don't think most people regard Oxford as far superior to Cambridge, where have you heard that? Students, at least in my experience, generally see Oxford as better for humanities, Cambridge better for STEM.

Can you read? I've already said I don't disagree.
Your first paragraph is utter subjectivity. As I mentioned earlier, both Imperial and Cambridge give out A*A*A* offers - this is harder to meet than getting past an interview.
And I'm sure you and I both know that in general, most people haven't a clue on university admissions. Most people believe Oxford is easily better than Cambridge, or that places like Bristol are better than Imperial or LSE, just because they haven't heard of them before.

Can I accept that Cambridge is better for Imperial for engineering? Yep.

Oxford? No way it's better.

Lol ur so dumb.
Statistics tell you everything.
Nearly all applicants to cam engineering get A*A*A. Some get higher offers aswell.
However only a handful get offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it's not, really, as plenty of people who fail to get an offer from Oxbridge get A*A*A. It's a lot more nuanced than "the uni with the highest offers is the best". It's probably the case that some Oxford offer-holders, who only need AAA to get in, don't work as hard for their A-levels as their Imperial counterparts, who need A*A*A. I know I'd be tempted to slack off a bit.

I don't think most people regard Oxford as far superior to Cambridge, where have you heard that? Students, at least in my experience, generally see Oxford as better for humanities, Cambridge better for STEM.

Can you read? I've already said I don't disagree.

You stated that Oxford was better for Engineering in your previous post regarding firming lower offers from Oxford over higher offers from Imperial, because Oxford was "better".

It's not the students, it's general everyday people at my sixth form. It seems to have a better domestic and global reputation for some reason.

You could argue that many people who fail to get an offer from Imperial also get A*A*A, as they would of likely been predicted this before they applied in order to meet the requirements for the A*A*A courses.

Again, I'm not sure the slacking off bit due to lower entry requirements is realistic. These guys/girls are evidentially very hard workers and just because they need AAA doesn't mean they're going to work to the bare-minimum. One could in fact argue they'd be encouraged to work harder. I'm predicted A*AA, though most of my medical schools need AAA. Does that mean I'm going to slack off? No.
Original post by physicsmaths
Lol ur so dumb.
Statistics tell you everything.
Nearly all applicants to cam engineering get A*A*A. Some get higher offers aswell.
However only a handful get offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everything you've stated in that post can be applied to Imperial. :smile: I mean, a lot of people who apply to Cambridge for engineering will apply to imperial. So those A*A*A applicants you've mentioned are also applying to imperial. Also, if you look at the link I've provided, you'd say there's a fair number of Imperial students getting A*A*A* offers too.

Way to beat yourself.
Everything you've stated in that post can be applied to Imperial. :smile: I mean, a lot of people who apply to Cambridge for engineering will apply to imperial. So those A*A*A applicants you've mentioned are also applying to imperial. Also, if you look at the link I've provided, you'd say there's a fair number of Imperial students getting A*A*A* offers too.

Way to beat yourself.

This is in response to you saying
'Meeting the offer is harder'. Nothing to do with imperial.
Way to beat urself.
Original post by physicsmaths
This is in response to you saying
'Meeting the offer is harder'. Nothing to do with imperial.
Way to beat urself.

I'm pretty sure I've stuck by that. You're going off-tangent here into your own universe. You've stated that many Cambridge applicants apply with A*A*A, well so do Imperial. You've also said only a small number get offers, well same for Imperial. You've said some get higher offers, well so do Imperial.What have I said wrong?

Ironically, you remind me of an alpha particle, extremely slow and unable to penetrate through the most simple things :/.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending