The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to these unis with BBC grades?

I am looking at applying to Kent, Reading, Leicester, Nottingham (as well as Winchester and Chester).I am probably going to get BBC (Classical Civilisation, Film Studies, and German) at the end of A2, which is also what I think I am going to be predicted to get.
Because I am wanting to study Classical Studies and Archaeology, I'm limited in where I can apply (and then further limited because I want to be in England, and not in a large city).

So 3 out of my 5 will be asking for ABB - is there a chance one of these places will let me in?
It seems ridiculous that most of my choices are above what I can get but i'm not sure what else to do - Classical Civilisation is the one thing I want to study.
(Also sorry if this isn't the right topic to post this in!)
Original post by KateemClassciv
I am looking at applying to Kent, Reading, Leicester, Nottingham (as well as Winchester and Chester).I am probably going to get BBC (Classical Civilisation, Film Studies, and German) at the end of A2, which is also what I think I am going to be predicted to get.
Because I am wanting to study Classical Studies and Archaeology, I'm limited in where I can apply (and then further limited because I want to be in England, and not in a large city).

So 3 out of my 5 will be asking for ABB - is there a chance one of these places will let me in?
It seems ridiculous that most of my choices are above what I can get but i'm not sure what else to do - Classical Civilisation is the one thing I want to study.

Unless you are social/economically disadvantaged or there is an access programme at these universities that require ABB then you probably won't be accepted unless the are unsubscribed. Maybe try and get your teachers to get your predicted grades up to BBB, this might help you out a bit.
Original post by Hayley Williams
Unless you are social/economically disadvantaged or there is an access programme at these universities that require ABB then you probably won't be accepted unless the are unsubscribed. Maybe try and get your teachers to get your predicted grades up to BBB, this might help you out a bit.

My German teacher may be able to predict be a B - will this really help even if I don't end up getting BBB?
My German teacher may be able to predict be a B - will this really help even if I don't end up getting BBB?

YES, i think it will. To universities there is a big difference between BBC and BBB. You could then in your personal statement incorporate why you think you are going to get better grade than predicted. To be honest if you get an offer and get BBB on results day they should accept you.
Reply 4
Leicester were in clearing last year asking for BBC for most things so yeah, good chance. Not to mention actually firming would give you an even greater chance, same with reading too but I'm sure Nottingham would require you to meet the offer.

If you're predicted lower than their requirements, no. If you have BBC at AS, yes, providing you are predicted ABB-AAB.
Reply 6
I dont know about offers through full applications, a friend of mine applied for automotive engineering which isn't very popular and got an offer from Brunel - AAB when she was predicted Bs and Cs so you could try.

I don't know how popular Classical Studies is, but I got an offer for Pharmacy which is pretty popular from Kent (well their joint pharmacy school with Greenwich but still Kent) in Clearing with BBC when the requirements are ABB. So you can always get something through clearing, but still do your best.
Original post by alexp98
Leicester were in clearing last year asking for BBC for most things so yeah, good chance. Not to mention actually firming would give you an even greater chance, same with reading too but I'm sure Nottingham would require you to meet the offer.

If I get a spot at Winchester, that means I can't go through clearing, right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending