satsuuki
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I started Sixth Form this Thursday, and I'm already sort-of confused/stuck. I'm finding it difficult to grasp the difference between "story" and "plot" when reading a text/novel.
We used different versions of the Three Little Pigs story to pick out different narrators and things out of them, but the one thing I couldn't understand was story and plot, and whether they were the same or different in the text?
I have no idea if any of this is making sense, but if someone could please explain with some examples, that would be really great. Thanks!
username2797082
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the plot is a longer, detailed grasp of exactly what happens in the text/novel. The story is a summary of, at least, the important events and objects that progress the text/novel.

E.M. Forster had a great example for this:
The king died and then the queen died. The king died and then the queen died of grief.
The first sentence is the story, and the second sentence is the plot. You can tell as the plot describes how the queen dies, whereas the story states just that she dies.

Hope that helped
satsuuki
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by HolyHumboldt)
I think the plot is a longer, detailed grasp of exactly what happens in the text/novel. The story is a summary of, at least, the important events and objects that progress the text/novel.

E.M. Forster had a great example for this:
The king died and then the queen died. The king died and then the queen died of grief.
The first sentence is the story, and the second sentence is the plot. You can tell as the plot describes how the queen dies, whereas the story states just that she dies.

Hope that helped
This helped out a lot. Thankyou so much! :^)
username2797082
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by satsuuki)
This helped out a lot. Thankyou so much! :^)
No problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.06%
They've been reasonable (69)
40.59%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.88%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)
26.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise