Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think I have schizoid personality disorder? watch

I fit near enough all the symptoms, reading them out is like reading a description of my personality. I have felt like this for some time but now I feel like it is starting to stop me from going out and doing stuff, as well as not caring much at all for friends and certain family members, I feel like I should ask for help, however I feel like that there is little that someone could do to help me, because I would struggle to engage in any therapy. Also, medication is completely out of the question, God only knows what poison they would be giving to me.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I fit near enough all the symptoms, reading them out is like reading a description of my personality. I have felt like this for some time but now I feel like it is starting to stop me from going out and doing stuff, as well as not caring much at all for friends and certain family members, I feel like I should ask for help, however I feel like that there is little that someone could do to help me, because I would struggle to engage in any therapy. Also, medication is completely out of the question, God only knows what poison they would be giving to me.

Any advice would be great, thanks.
    Personality disorders can be difficult to diagnose, so it is obviously inherently difficult (I would say impossible) to diagnose ourselves with one.

I would advise seeking help or support from a professional if you feel the symptoms are affecting you negatively. You don't have to take the help they offer you if you do not agree with it. It may not be a pd, it could possibly be something else. It may not even be appropriate to diagnose a mental health difficulty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The problem with diagnosing personality disorders is that most of the symptoms can sound exactly like normal personality traits, so anyone reading a list of them will think "this sounds exactly like me!". Definitely speak to your doctor though, try to get a referral as you'll need an actual psychiatrist to diagnose you, and you need to be over 18.

Also R.E. meds - generally medication is prescribed for any co-morbid disorders such as depression and OCD rather than the personality disorder itself - PD's are notoriously difficult to treat and often medication doesn't help as they're not caused by chemical imbalances.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.