Do I have a chance at going to oxbridge?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    1 3 minutes ago Report post
    I got predicted A*A*A for a levels to do english literature and at cambridge, they require A*AA whereas oxford want AAA. I have the grades and i have just been elected deputy head girl, but i go to an unknown sixth form and not very rich. Do i have a chance of getting in? If i do what can i do to make myself stand out or raise my chances of my application being accepted?

ReputationRep:
    You have a great chance, which sixth form you go to and your wealth aren't things they care about, or even know really
    All you need is a good personal statement and then to nail the interview if you get one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordanshelley97)
    You have a great chance, which sixth form you go to and your wealth aren't things they care about, or even know really
    All you need is a good personal statement and then to nail the interview if you get one
    Thank you so much :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalaa64)
    1 3 minutes ago Report post
    I got predicted A*A*A for a levels to do english literature and at cambridge, they require A*AA whereas oxford want AAA. I have the grades and i have just been elected deputy head girl, but i go to an unknown sixth form and not very rich. Do i have a chance of getting in? If i do what can i do to make myself stand out or raise my chances of my application being accepted?
    Hi,
    I'm in a similar position in terms of aspiring to study at Oxford, but I am not entirely familiar with the predictions process.
    Are your predictions based on what you acheived at AS level? Or are they ALPs(?) predictions? If the former, what did you achieve at AS level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewNY)
    Hi,
    I'm in a similar position in terms of aspiring to study at Oxford, but I am not entirely familiar with the predictions process.
    Are your predictions based on what you acheived at AS level? Or are they ALPs(?) predictions? If the former, what did you achieve at AS level?
    Hey, The predictions are usually based on your AS grades, but honestly depends on your college/sixth form and how they will predict you and what they base it on. Some look at your overall grades throughout the year and base it on that. We have the ALPs system too, which I find ridiculous but for next year they should hopefully predict you at least one grade higher than your AS grades. For my ALPs predictions for AS was CCDD and I got AAB in my AS, wbu? Are you going to the oxford open day tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalaa64)
    Your grades sound good and they won't be discriminating based on the name of your Sixth Form—and certainly not on the basis of your wealth. You certainly have a chance. You don't need to be an all-singing, all-dancing robostudent from a famous public school who saves orphanages and digs wells in her spare time.

A good way to prepare is to look up, as early as possible, the application process. Make sure you know which deadlines you need to meet and what you need to do. Both universities have a lot of information online about their application process. And if you haven't looked into it already, learn what the ELAT is, and think about what kind of practice and preparation might get you ready for that kind of close reading exam (you can find past papers publicly available on that site).

Another useful resource is this guide written by an academic at Oxford (it'd be useful reading for Cambridge too).

I'd encourage you to apply to one of them if you find their course attractive. Remember that it's competitive and that there are plenty of other great English courses which would also be interested in a student with your marks, but also remember that [Oxford/Cambridge] has a fantastic course and you can't get in if you don't apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QHF)
    Your grades sound good and they won't be discriminating based on the name of your Sixth Form—and certainly not on the basis of your wealth. You certainly have a chance. You don't need to be an all-singing, all-dancing robostudent from a famous public school who saves orphanages and digs wells in her spare time.

A good way to prepare is to look up, as early as possible, the application process. Make sure you know which deadlines you need to meet and what you need to do. Both universities have a lot of information online about their application process. And if you haven't looked into it already, learn what the ELAT is, and think about what kind of practice and preparation might get you ready for that kind of close reading exam (you can find past papers publicly available on that site).

Another useful resource is this guide written by an academic at Oxford (it'd be useful reading for Cambridge too).

I'd encourage you to apply to one of them if you find their course attractive. Remember that it's competitive and that there are plenty of other great English courses which would also be interested in a student with your marks, but also remember that [Oxford/Cambridge] has a fantastic course and you can't get in if you don't apply.
    Thank you so much!! I have decided to apply to oxford after seeing the open day on friday, and I will be looking into everything now. And if I don't get in I will be more than happy to go to another university anyway but at least I can say I tried. I will have a look at the guide and thank you for the advice x

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.