Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What would the US response be if North Korea nuked somebody? watch

ReputationRep:
    And if it was the USA what do you think they would do in response? I'm guessing a complete invasion and occupation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    And if it was the USA what do you think they would do in response? I'm guessing a complete invasion and occupation.
    As far as I know the missile defense shields in South Korea and Guam etc. could handle NK's missiles. I find it hard to believe that North Korea could work out functional, guided nuclear headed missiles in the near future.

An immediate counter strike with nuclear warheads. If NK launched one ( which they won't ) they wouldn't hesitate to launch another, especially if faced with an invasion.

Even China and Russia have turned against NK, they would assure their own complete destruction if they launched a nuclear weapon.

Hence why nukes are called deterrents, NK can ward off an invasion using this threat.

A complete invasion and occupation could be disastrous, worse than the Vietnam war. The terrain in NK is mountainous offering great cover for it's millions of troops that are trained, albeit probably poorly. A retaliatory nuke strike would be the attack of choice, like the end of ww2 in Asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcneill98)
    As far as I know the missile defense shields in South Korea and Guam etc. could handle NK's missiles. I find it hard to believe that North Korea could work out functional, guided nuclear headed missiles in the near future.

An immediate counter strike with nuclear warheads. If NK launched one ( which they won't ) they wouldn't hesitate to launch another, especially if faced with an invasion.

Even China and Russia have turned against NK, they would assure their own complete destruction if they launched a nuclear weapon.

Hence why nukes are called deterrents, NK can ward off an invasion using this threat.

A complete invasion and occupation could be disastrous, worse than the Vietnam war. The terrain in NK is mountainous offering great cover for it's millions of troops that are trained, albeit probably poorly. A retaliatory nuke strike would be the attack of choice, like the end of ww2 in Asia.
    Intercepting ballistic missiles isn't particularly easy & I think it'd be somewhat presumptuous to assume any North Korean missile is guaranteed to be shot down. If the NKs were serious about striking South Korea, they'd hit the THAAD site(s) with special forces or undercover agents in order to ensure their missile(s) gets through. It may also be able to saturate the anti missile systems although I doubt that NK has that many long range missiles available to it at the moment.

I don't think there's any doubt that the USA would retaliate in kind if South Korea, Japan or any of its territory was attacked by nuclear weapons but I doubt a land invasion would be as costly as you think; although the North does have apparently vast arrays tunnel networks & bunker complexes, its military technology is severely lacking when compared to the USA & SK. One of the major reasons the USA struggled in Vietnam was due to the politics; should NK use a nuclear weapon or another kind of WMD then political considerations would go out the window realistically. The American & South Korean air forces could probably destroy the NK air force within hours; then they'd pound North Korean ground forces into the dirt with a mixture of precision guided munitions & carpet bombing.
    One of the biggest threats would actually be North Korean artillery as it can reach Seoul so you'd probably find that SK would want to at least partly invade the North to ensure that the threat is neutralised.

No-one really knows how the North Korean military would handle the pressures of war; due to the sheer fanaticism that its leaders instill it could be a tough fight but equally the NK military could fold in a similar manner to the way the Iraqi army did in 1991 & 2003 (especially if there's a massive air campaign against their command & control structure). Regardless however, I do believe the USA/SK would be triumphant; the absolute worst case scenario would probably see fighting in similar savagery to the Pacific Campaign in the Second World War rather than the situation which happened in Vietnam.
    The only saving grace NK may have is China: China could but pressure on the Yanks to operate within certain restrictions but I do think that even the PRC would denounce its ally to the point where no limits would be placed other than perhaps an agreement that the US won't come within a certain distance of the Chinese border. You could even seen Chinese military forces invade the north of North Korea to keep a buffer zone.

North Korea is predictably unpredictable but, despite its regular bluster & sabre rattling, I don't think its likely to launch a first strike unless it believes it can win. I also wonder if the military leadership in North Korea would overthrow Kim Jong Un should he try anything that badly affects the status-quo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    Intercepting ballistic missiles isn't particularly easy & I think it'd be somewhat presumptuous to assume any North Korean missile is guaranteed to be shot down. If the NKs were serious about striking South Korea, they'd hit the THAAD site(s) with special forces or undercover agents in order to ensure their missile(s) gets through. It may also be able to saturate the anti missile systems although I doubt that NK has that many long range missiles available to it at the moment.

I don't think there's any doubt that the USA would retaliate in kind if South Korea, Japan or any of its territory was attacked by nuclear weapons but I doubt a land invasion would be as costly as you think; although the North does have apparently vast arrays tunnel networks & bunker complexes, its military technology is severely lacking when compared to the USA & SK. One of the major reasons the USA struggled in Vietnam was due to the politics; should NK use a nuclear weapon or another kind of WMD then political considerations would go out the window realistically. The American & South Korean air forces could probably destroy the NK air force within hours; then they'd pound North Korean ground forces into the dirt with a mixture of precision guided munitions & carpet bombing.
    One of the biggest threats would actually be North Korean artillery as it can reach Seoul so you'd probably find that SK would want to at least partly invade the North to ensure that the threat is neutralised.

No-one really knows how the North Korean military would handle the pressures of war; due to the sheer fanaticism that its leaders instill it could be a tough fight but equally the NK military could fold in a similar manner to the way the Iraqi army did in 1991 & 2003 (especially if there's a massive air campaign against their command & control structure). Regardless however, I do believe the USA/SK would be triumphant; the absolute worst case scenario would probably see fighting in similar savagery to the Pacific Campaign in the Second World War rather than the situation which happened in Vietnam.
    The only saving grace NK may have is China: China could but pressure on the Yanks to operate within certain restrictions but I do think that even the PRC would denounce its ally to the point where no limits would be placed other than perhaps an agreement that the US won't come within a certain distance of the Chinese border. You could even seen Chinese military forces invade the north of North Korea to keep a buffer zone.

North Korea is predictably unpredictable but, despite its regular bluster & sabre rattling, I don't think its likely to launch a first strike unless it believes it can win. I also wonder if the military leadership in North Korea would overthrow Kim Jong Un should he try anything that badly affects the status-quo.
    I'd love to see China invade and annex North Korea, it would be extremely risky to pull off by it would be an interesting case. Imagine, China would help North Korea develop their economy and military while having control.
    I wonder, if this happened, would the west and south korea react positively or negatively ?
    I would imagine negatively simply because it isn't NATO invading.

I honestly believe too though that North Korea isn't as unpredictable as people think, there is still a lot of love between these two peoples and many families torn apart. I very much doubt many in North Korea would support an attack of any kind, even top military generals and Kim himself.
    Remember too that we lived under 'constant threat' of a nuclear attack from Russia, and Russia from the US, France and the UK. And then Pakistan and India, China...

ReputationRep:
    What would you want them to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    What would you want them to do?
    Just to invade somewhere random so I can go on holiday there in a few years.

ReputationRep:
    The missile shields can intercept ballistic missiles, what they cant intercept is the ICBM type or the SLBM type.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ion_.2F_Russia

ReputationRep:
    If North Korea nuked any nation tomorrow, it would be annexed by China and it's leadership be dead by Thursday.

China will sell every other Asian out if it means that trade with the rich west is protected and if the only way to prevent the US invading North Korea in response is to annex North Korea, then so be it in their mind.

ReputationRep:
    If Trump was President, he would tell the country NK had nuked that if they wanted US to back them up, they better pay for it.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.