Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I have Avoidant Personality Disorder? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For the past few years I have tended to avoid eye contact with attractive girls or people I've grown to dislike when they come into my presence. I do it as if they're actually not there. I also struggle to look in the direction they're in and I felt like I've lost out on having closer intimate friendships with people, especially knowing that body language takes up most of the communication you do with people.

I wouldnt say I'm shy or an anxious person, my confidence is hot and cold though and I dont actually have a big problem interacting with people in general but I know my eye contact can be better and I believe it is a symptom of AVPD. If anyone can give me steps on improving my eye contact or any other advice that would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoungerHamii2014)
    For the past few years I have tended to avoid eye contact with attractive girls or people I've grown to dislike when they come into my presence. I do it as if they're actually not there. I also struggle to look in the direction they're in and I felt like I've lost out on having closer intimate friendships with people, especially knowing that body language takes up most of the communication you do with people.

I wouldnt say I'm shy or an anxious person, my confidence is hot and cold though and I dont actually have a big problem interacting with people in general but I know my eye contact can be better and I believe it is a symptom of AVPD. If anyone can give me steps on improving my eye contact or any other advice that would be great
    Do you have any problem holding eye contact with people you know well ?
    Maybe it's because you think they are 'better than you', because you say that it is attractive girls and this is very common ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcneill98)
    Do you have any problem holding eye contact with people you know well ?
    Maybe it's because you think they are 'better than you', because you say that it is attractive girls and this is very common ?
    Not when I'm in conversation with them no, I do look away from time to time as I dont want to stare at them and make the interaction awkward. But if its not a conversation and they're around then I can't look towards where they are if I fancy them

ReputationRep:
    Not when I'm in conversation with them no, I do look away from time to time as I dont want to stare at them and make the interaction awkward. But if its not a conversation and they're around then I can't look towards where they are if I fancy them
    OK for my last post I was confusing avoidant personality with another thing.
    I would say it well could be avoidant personality disorder, but like most of these conditions can be helped by yourself.

I would suggest that you need to think hard about the things that you do well in life. For me, I started lifting weights, became stronger and that made me so much more comfortable and confident around others. I always slowly realised that I have numerous qualities, like intelligence and generosity.
    Remember that making eye contact is normal and healthy, as long as it isn't prolonged. Even with people you don't know well.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

If you want to know then the best way to find out would be to see a doctor. Even if you're not too fussed about the diagnosis it's the best way to get help dealing with it. If the doctor susspects you could have something like AVPD they will either try to help you themselves or may refer you to a psychiatrist or therapist. If given the option I would suggest that you take a referal. From there you may be given a diagnosis or you may just work on your issues. Sometimes doctors can feel it's better not to diagnose issues as it can make it seem worse than it is or something (kinda depends from person to person).

If you really don't want to see a doctor, look it and simmilar conditions up online and try the advice suggested. I think a lot of the time issues with eye contact can stem from confidence and anxiety issues so it may be worth looking into advice for that too. Mind.org is a good place to start, but if you set aside some time to google it you should get a good base.

ReputationRep:
    These are the sort of 'problems' caused by a lack of communication/interaction with people. It only gets worse when you become more insular/withdrawn. The key is not to feed into it. Get back into communicating with people and your communication skills will eventually normalise.*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.