The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Pencil Queen
Puts forward motion to send Gnostic down t'pit come the revolution :tongue:

He will have a shock when he has to work with northerners :biggrin:

Do people really believe some of the crap he does or is he just trying to wind people up?
amazingtrade
He will have a shock when he has to work with northerners :biggrin:

Do people really believe some of the crap he does or is he just trying to wind people up?

He's trying to wind people up
Reply 42
Argh well to bring this thread back on topic here are some statistics:

The North West of England, has an area of 14165 square kilometres and with 6.9 million inhabitants has the second largest population of the United Kingdom's regions and is three times more densely populated than the European average. Our £60billion economy is larger than five European member states - Republic of Ireland, Finland, Luxembourg, Portugal and Greece.
Reply 43
Lord Gnostic
Because Oxbridge-LSE grads, who run the contry, dont want to work up north. And they know better than you.

I'm going to be an Oxbridge grad soon and I want to work up north. Mind you, I didn't need my degree to have a better idea what's good for my city than someone who's never been there, which I suspect might apply to a loooot of those making decisions which concern it at central level.
btw you were talking about Vikings- a looooooot of (white) people in the North West are Celts if anything you know! Well obviously we're all mixed up anyway, the Brits being a mongrel people, but you know what I mean.
Reply 44
lala
I'm going to be an Oxbridge grad soon and I want to work up north. Mind you, I didn't need my degree to have a better idea what's good for my city than someone who's never been there, which I suspect might apply to a loooot of those making decisions which concern it at central level.
btw you were talking about Vikings- a looooooot of (white) people in the North West are Celts if anything you know! Well obviously we're all mixed up anyway, the Brits being a mongrel people, but you know what I mean.

Yep and thats exactly what would be good about this assembly. Its all kicking off at the moment in Manchester, the town hall boses have walked out in a meeting and have called for Alistar(sp) darling to resign.
Reply 45
There should be a North West assembly - like amazingtrade has just put forward - the area can look after itself, and bring the North a more prestigious label than the South. It all comes down to the North/South divide, and the fact that the London knows that Manchester can easily take over them. :rolleyes: (Manchester held the Commonwealth games - and oh, would you look at that? London is attempting to hold the Olympics! Fat chance :biggrin: )
London will disappear soon enough though (lies on cheap flat land and will drown with rising sea levels) - and Manchester will be the next capital! :wink:
Do you like the sound of that, Lord Gnostic, ay? :tongue:
Reply 46
Misbah Imtiaz
There should be a North West assembly - like amazingtrade has just put forward - the area can look after itself, and bring the North a more prestigious label than the South. It all comes down to the North/South divide, and the fact that the London knows that Manchester can easily take over them. :rolleyes: (Manchester held the Commonwealth games - and oh, would you look at that? London is attempting to hold the Olympics! Fat chance :biggrin: )
London will disappear soon enough though (lies on cheap flat land and will drown with rising sea levels) - and Manchester will be the next capital! :wink:

Well there may be a cival war between Manchester and Birmingham though :tongue:

Although the North West is the second most population area after the South East. Its interesting on my poll the only people against are not from the North West.

I secretly think Londoners must of hated the sucess of the common wealth games, it could not have gone any smoother.
Misbah Imtiaz
How much of that post was serious?
Reply 48
Just somthing I forgot to mention, this parlimet has already go the go ahead, its now up to people of the North West to decide in a reverendum to be held in November, At the end of the day this only really effects people of the North West.
Reply 49
amazingtrade
I secretly think Londoners must of hated the sucess of the common wealth games, it could not have gone any smoother.

Trust me they weren't.

I think that having assemblys for the different regions of the UK is a good idea as long as everyone doesn't become to separate. Is there really that much hatred of the south from the north? If so I don't get it because the majority of people I know in the south don't hate the north. My mum is from Manchester and half my family live up there so I deffinately don't have a problem with northeners. I just think that if there is this split between the north and south it does have to be address. The only think that worries me is if the assembly goes ahead the split may become bigger.
randdom
I think that having assemblys for the different regions of the UK is a good idea as long as everyone doesn't become to separate. Is there really that much hatred of the south from the north? If so I don't get it because the majority of people I know in the south don't hate the north. My mum is from Manchester and half my family live up there so I deffinately don't have a problem with northeners. I just think that if there is this split between the north and south it does have to be address. The only think that worries me is if the assembly goes ahead the split may become bigger.

How come it's always Northerners and Southerners? Where do Midlanders come in these stereotypes and divides?
Reply 51
thefish_uk
How come it's always Northerners and Southerners? Where do Midlanders come in these stereotypes and divides?

No Man's Land :cool:
Midlanders are considered Northeners usually.
Reply 53
thefish_uk

When talking about regional assemblies I would say that the midlands should have their own because the interests of the midlands won't be the same as the northern regions or the southern regions.
Why do we need this extra level of government? What gives people the impressson that the north of even the midlands are disregarded by Westminster. Surely its up to your MP's to make work harder if you think that problems are being ignored. In my mind there are no problems that westminister is far away to handle.
Speciez99
Why do we need this extra level of government? What gives people the impressson that the north of even the midlands are disregarded by Westminster. Surely its up to your MP's to make work harder if you think that problems are being ignored. In my mind there are no problems that westminister is far away to handle.

Exactly. What should have happened with devolution is that the Scottish parliment and the Welsh assembly were populated with Scottish MPs and Welsh MPs, and an English parliment should have been created also. Instead of that what we have is an unnecessary group of additional 'provincial' MSPs while all the politicians of any ability are in Westminster.
Reply 56
Speciez99

You're from the south then yeah?
You don't genuinely think individual MPs can really make that much difference do you? Sadly not, unless they have a ministerial role which obv most do not. They just don't have the time or resources, and are usually simply not important enough to have requests for great change listened to. It would take a level of power vastly higher than that which backbenchers have to lessen the extreme centralisation of power in London.
Whitehall as much as Westminster is key here: whatever anyone says otherwise, many of the major decisions are taken here. Civil service power is still very much concentrated in the metropolis rather than the regions, and this DOES make a huge difference. If the mandarins had not all been living in London for all or most of their careers perhaps they would be less London-centric but this is not the case. Given that their whole lives are in one city it will obviously be harder for them to understand what life is like in rural areas, or the north, or really anywhere that's different. Yes, it would be lovely if we lived in a perfect world and it was actually possible for ordinary constituency MPs to have as much power to achieve change as you've suggested is possible, but they don't.
Reply 57
The referendum has been prosponeed to after election now. :mad:
Reply 59

Exactly, in my area (Withington ward) 20% of people earn above £60k a year. They are lot very rich people in the South Manchester/Cheshire and parts of Lancashire. Yet we still get less funding per head than southerners.