Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about doing a psychology degree at uni. I take Psycholgy, English Language and Biology but am thinking about changing biology to English Lit as I do not enjoy biology etc, so i don't think I'd be able to get a good enough grade in it. Whereas English is my strongest subject and I enjoy it. So would taking Psychology, English Language and English Lit be okay if I want to do a Psycholgy degree.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by LucyRobertson)
    I'm thinking about doing a psychology degree at uni. I take Psycholgy, English Language and Biology but am thinking about changing biology to English Lit as I do not enjoy biology etc, so i don't think I'd be able to get a good enough grade in it. Whereas English is my strongest subject and I enjoy it. So would taking Psychology, English Language and English Lit be okay if I want to do a Psycholgy degree.
    Hi, what universities do you want to apply to? From what I've just researched there are usually no required subjects but biology, and mathematics are said to be desirable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyRobertson)
    At most unis you should be fine with psychology and English lit and language but it might be best to check on the websites of the unis you are interested in - if you search for the course it will state any preferred/essential subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Psych is a very competitive degree for a reason. If you want to stand out, be sure to present your own ideas about the subject as frequently as possible.

ReputationRep:
    I think doing two English subjects, while doing only three A-levels would not be a good idea. Haven't you thought of Sociology? It's a broad subject that works great with Psychology, some of the modules (for AQA, at least) cover crime and deviance, which would give you a ground to do e.g. Criminology or Forensic Psychology. In addition, both cover research methods, and there's apparently a great deal of that at degree-level. Hope I helped :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does ethics and Philsophy suit/ will be better??

ReputationRep:
    Not the best choices. Many courses ask for at least one science subject. Some count psychology but others do not.

English language is a bit of a soft subject if you are thinking of Russell Group unis.

Personally, as a psychology lecturer, I would recommend maths and biology as the two most useful A levels.

Good advice here: russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and.../subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.