Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3912205.stm

UKIP MEP in row over working women

A Euro MP for the UK Independence Party has sparked controversy hours into his first day in the Strasbourg parliament.

Godfrey Bloom was given a seat on the European Parliament's women's rights committee on Tuesday.

But he told the media: "No self-respecting small businessman with a brain in the right place would ever employ a lady of child-bearing age."
    It's hardly surprising coming from the party who's London mayoral candidate announced that he would not campaign in Camden because there "are too many gays."

It's hard to take them seriously when their politicians come out with crap like this, but their policies would spell economic disaster in any case.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst it is impossible to agree with a lot of what he said, he is making a valid point. In the days of endless legislation against any sort of sexism and £1million pay offs for those who experience sexism, will it be any surprise when big companies start to employ fewer women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Whilst it is impossible to agree with a lot of what he said, he is making a valid point. In the days of endless legislation against any sort of sexism and £1million pay offs for those who experience sexism, will it be any surprise when big companies start to employ fewer women?
    Won't be a problem, fathers' rights to paternity leave is growing. Implying that only women are a risk is sexist, many men take time off to take care of newborn babies too. I think at the moment men are entitled to 6 months unpaid leave, but it still costs a lot for the company to find a replacement for that time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    Won't be a problem, fathers' rights to paternity leave is growing. Implying that only women are a risk is sexist, many men take time off to take care of newborn babies too. I think at the moment men are entitled to 6 months unpaid leave, but it still costs a lot for the company to find a replacement for that time.
    I think paternity leave is only one month.

ReputationRep:
    at least that comment had some justification, unlike this,

..told journalists he wanted to deal with women's issues because: "I just don't think they clean behind the fridge enough".

"I am here to represent Yorkshire women who always have dinner on the table when you get home. I am going to promote men's rights," he added.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    at least that comment had some justification, unlike this,

..told journalists he wanted to deal with women's issues because: "I just don't think they clean behind the fridge enough".

"I am here to represent Yorkshire women who always have dinner on the table when you get home. I am going to promote men's rights," he added.
    Though he did say that jokingly.

ReputationRep:
    Though he did say that jokingly.
    apparently it wasn't said all-that jokingly, and that the UKip are just trying to cover it up as that. Doesn't show the party off to be very searious if he was joking, it just reinforces the idea tht they are a bunch of amateures.

Although to be honest, I don't think anyone is really deeply offended about it.

ReputationRep:
    I think paternity leave is only one month.
    I've got a feeling that's paid leave. If you can afford it, you can take more time off without pay and, legally, your job is still secure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Although to be honest, I don't think anyone is really deeply offended about it.
    As I doubt he has all that much political clout, I'm not bothered, it's just making me laugh at the silly little man.

If he was seriously campaigning for this, then I'd get a little worried...

ReputationRep:
    "No self-respecting small businessman with a brain in the right place would ever employ a lady of child-bearing age."
    At last - a bit of honesty! It might not be politically correct but why would someone with a small business take on someone who they'll have to pay for up to a year without getting anything out of it but a tick in the PC box?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    I've got a feeling that's paid leave. If you can afford it, you can take more time off without pay and, legally, your job is still secure.
    Same applies to women about job security.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    At last - a bit of honesty! It might not be politically correct but why would someone with a small business take on someone who they'll have to pay for up to a year without getting anything out of it but a tick in the PC box?

He said child-bearing age, not pregnant... I'd agree with him if we against employing a pregant woman for those reasons, but to say he wouldn't employ any woman of 16-45 years of age or so on the off chance they'll get pregnant straight away is just stupid. But then he's the one missing out on probably able and hard working people.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to see that one of their other MEPs Ashley Mote has been supended by UKIP facing allegations of housing and benifit fraud.

ReputationRep:
    Same applies to women about job security.
    I know, but you were saying that paternity leave was only a month, when I'm quite sure it's longer. As paternity leave was the issue there, I only mentioned that side of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    A woman of child bearing age, what's that? 18-40? Come on.

It's not for a year anyway. Women are entitled to 6 months paid leave, then they can have another 6 months unpaid.

If the business is so shaky that they don't think they could manage a 6 month burden then maybe they shouldn't be hiring more staff in the first place. In any case, usually you get a good 9 months warning :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I know, but you were saying that paternity leave was only a month, when I'm quite sure it's longer. As paternity leave was the issue there, I only mentioned that side of it.
    It seems to actually be 13 weeks, two of which are paid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    A woman of child bearing age, what's that? 18-40? Come on.

It's not for a year anyway. Women are entitled to 6 months paid leave, then they can have another 6 months unpaid.

If the business is so shaky that they don't think they could manage a 6 month burden then maybe they shouldn't be hiring more staff in the first place. In any case, usually you get a good 9 months warning :rolleyes:
    But you can see why some employers would just want to avoid the hassle. It's not right, but it happens.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to actually be 13 weeks, two of which are paid.
    Really? Wow, that's nothing in comparison..

ReputationRep:
    Really? Wow, that's nothing in comparison..
    So most men will probably be back to work after the two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    But you can see why some employers would just want to avoid the hassle. It's not right, but it happens.
    Oh aye, but why does this legislation hurt women? A women doesn't want a job if she'll be fired the minute she gets broody. This way she knows that if she's given a job they actually want to employ her and keep her.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.