Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

On my homework there's a question which I thought I'd done right but the answer is 70kW and I got 7000W so I was wondering whether anyone could see where I've gone wrong.

The question says: An instant gas hot water heater is capable of raising the temperature of 2kg of water by 50K in each minute, what is the power?

So I did:
    Change in Q = ItV and P=IV so change in Q=Pt
    Change in Q = mc change in T so Change in Q=2kg x 4200 x 50K = 420000
    420000/60 = P = 7000W

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    From the information given, you're correct, in my opinion - 7kW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    From the information given, you're correct, in my opinion - 7kW.
    Thank you, perhaps it was just a typo! The next question says What problem might there be in designing an instant electric water heater which is to work from the ordinary mains supply and achieve the same rate of heating? Now that I know my answer is correct it would be reasonable to put that the power required is too large for that of a mains supply?

ReputationRep:
    seems you are correct

but fwiw you can give it a sanity check by comparing with a normal electric kettle which has a power of 2kW and a capacity of probably around 1.5l (1.5 kg)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    seems you are correct

but fwiw you can give it a sanity check by comparing with a normal electric kettle which has a power of 2kW and a capacity of probably around 1.5l (1.5 kg)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blake Jones)
    Thank you, perhaps it was just a typo! The next question says What problem might there be in designing an instant electric water heater which is to work from the ordinary mains supply and achieve the same rate of heating? Now that I know my answer is correct it would be reasonable to put that the power required is too large for that of a mains supply?
    Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable answer
    Awesome, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blake Jones)
    Well 7kW is a fairly standard rating for an instantaneous electric shower, but it'd need a dedicated circuit from the consumer unit (i.e. the fusebox) and it's own 30A fuse. 30A is one of the standard value for fuses in the consumer unit.

I'd say it was more of an installation issue than a design issue really.

ReputationRep:
    The question says "ordinary mains supply", which is quite ambiguous, technically you could get that power with another circuit breaker, but my exam intuition tells me that's what they're getting at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    The question says "ordinary mains supply", which is quite ambiguous, technically you could get that power with another circuit breaker, but my exam intuition tells me that's what they're getting at.
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.