Turn on thread page Beta

Would it be safe to add anecdotes to personal statements? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't want mine to be terribly generic but at the same time I worry that it's a risky move to add a little story about how I got interested in economics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelienine)
    I don't want mine to be terribly generic but at the same time I worry that it's a risky move to add a little story about how I got interested in economics...
    Yes definitely! I applied for economics a few years ago and my PS had a small anecdote at the start as to how I got interested.
    I'd suggest keeping it only a sentence long, short and simple and make sure it follows onto something you then went and did (e.g. first got interested after visiting some 3rd world country on a school trip and meeting people who benefitted from micro loans to start local businesses. Once you came home you read up on different types of financial markets, went to a talk etc.)
    That kind of thing is just an example obviously, but don't bother with an anecdote as to when you got interested in economics or ppe (whatever you are applying to) if you don't follow it up with something it lead you to do.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.