The Student Room Group

Is the Medicine dream over?

So I just started year 13 and was hoping to apply for medicine. Teachers at my school have told me I virtually have no chance :'(

My stats are:
2A*'s, 5A's and 5B's at GCSE
AABD (bio, chem, maths (missed out on an A by 1 mark) and computing) at AS
630 average, Band 2 in my UKCAT
A2 predictions - AAA
I have also done work experience at a hospital and GP each for 1 week, helped out at a school for children with special needs for 3 months and volunteered at a care home for 1 month.

Do I have a chance at any medical school?

Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Next to nothing
NO way, you need at least 9 A* at A2
Reply 3
Still worth applying, but your GCSEs and UKCAT are both too weak for a lot of med schools. Take a gap year and get a higher UKCAT is probably your best option :smile:
If you do still apply this year, be very careful with your choices
Original post by The_JoKeR
Next to nothing

Damn :/ I'm eligible to apply for some foundation courses but my A2 predictions are too high :/. What a weird situation ahah.
Original post by Ezme39
Still worth applying, but your GCSEs and UKCAT are both too weak for a lot of med schools. Take a gap year and get a higher UKCAT is probably your best option :smile:
If you do still apply this year, be very careful with your choices

Thanks for the response :biggrin:. This is what I've been thinking to do or maybe do a neuroscience degree and apply for graduate entry
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
NO way, you need at least 9 A* at A2

Knew I should've done more than 3 :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by EvilEarth567
So I just started year 13 and was hoping to apply for medicine. Teachers at my school have told me I virtually have no chance :'(

My stats are:
A2 predictions - AAA
I have also done work experience at a hospital and GP each for 1 week, helped out at a school for children with special needs for 3 months and volunteered at a care home for 1 month.

GCSE's are amongst the weaker side for sure and the D may be a problem, any chance of a remark? A2 predictions are great but they don't really count for much! UKCAT is actually good people are forgetting this year only 3 sections are assessed. So unis will bring down the average cut off! I would recommend Sheffield, the want 617 at UKCAT this year. Definitely apply cause you can always apply for a 5th back up and also clearing and adjustment. Never give up on your dreams, hope to see you in med school!
Reply 8
Maybe look at Biomedicine as an alternative?? Or look at unis which place low emphasis on the UKCAT??
Original post by Z1228
GCSE's are amongst the weaker side for sure and the D may be a problem, any chance of a remark? A2 predictions are great but they don't really count for much! UKCAT is actually good people are forgetting this year only 3 sections are assessed. So unis will bring down the average cut off! I would recommend Sheffield, the want 617 at UKCAT this year. Definitely apply cause you can always apply for a 5th back up and also clearing and adjustment. Never give up on your dreams, hope to see you in med school!

Thanks so much for the encouraging words :smile:. I'm gonna ask about a remark for the D because I wasn't too far off a C. I'm eligible for medicine courses with a foundation year at UEA and Nottingham but I'd have to get my A2 prediction lowered. Would say this its worth it? Anyway thanks again for the response :biggrin:
Original post by AfcFob
Maybe look at Biomedicine as an alternative?? Or look at unis which place low emphasis on the UKCAT??

Yeah I've been looking at biomed/neuroscience courses and then maybe apply for medicine as a graduate? But I've heard is so much more competitive :/
Reply 11
Thanks so much for the encouraging words :smile:. I'm gonna ask about a remark for the D because I wasn't too far off a C. I'm eligible for medicine courses with a foundation year at UEA and Nottingham but I'd have to get my A2 prediction lowered. Would say this its worth it? Anyway thanks again for the response :biggrin:

Usually with foundation years they prefer you to have one or no sciences as far as I'm aware! I definitely think with 3 As you'd be more likely to have a good chance as you can apply to more places. What about somewhere like Leeds? If your personal statement is amazing they won't care as much for your GCSEs and you'll be able to get an interview and if you smash that they will take you on😄
Reply 12
Yeah I've been looking at biomed/neuroscience courses and then maybe apply for medicine as a graduate? But I've heard is so much more competitive :/

Yeah, it can be a lot more competitive but it's an alternative way of possibly getting to do what you want. Try applying for Medicine but make sure a Biomed course is your 5th choice as it is an alternative way of doing medicine
Original post by Z1228
Usually with foundation years they prefer you to have one or no sciences as far as I'm aware! I definitely think with 3 As you'd be more likely to have a good chance as you can apply to more places. What about somewhere like Leeds? If your personal statement is amazing they won't care as much for your GCSEs and you'll be able to get an interview and if you smash that they will take you on😄

The foundation year at Nottingham requires you to have biology and chemistry but I guess it depends on the uni. Doesn't Leeds require the BMAT? I feel this will be risky but what have I got to lose at this point :biggrin:. Do you think it would be wiser to take a gap year to see my A2 results first and then reapply? Thanks again for the advice :biggrin:
LOL what your're doing fine. AAB in the AS levels you're taking to A2, AAA predictions and a good UKCAT. Just apply for med schools that aren't GCSE heavy or don't mind a slightly lower UKCAT score. You can still make it.
Original post by AfcFob
Yeah, it can be a lot more competitive but it's an alternative way of possibly getting to do what you want. Try applying for Medicine but make sure a Biomed course is your 5th choice as it is an alternative way of doing medicine

I might end up applying to 2 biomed courses because I don't think I have many options for med school :biggrin:. Anyway thanks for the reply :smile:

My stats are:
A2 predictions - AAA

Some teachers are just very bitter....who do they think they are to tell you that?!
Honestly, use that as a source of motivation by the sound of it you are very academically gifted. You GCSEs and AS grades are great!
If you just push yourself a bit more...you can achieve such great grades...drop the D and go with the best 3.

Yes of course there are some people with 11A* and other stupendous grades but all you need to remember...you might have something they do not.

Well done for making the effort to being able to get work experience, the more the better!!!

Best of Luck...remember everyone's journey to what they want to achieve is always going to be different. Its not about when you get there...its about how you get there.
Original post by Z1228

From where can you find cut-off values for unis?
Original post by richpanda
LOL what your're doing fine. AAB in the AS levels you're taking to A2, AAA predictions and a good UKCAT. Just apply for med schools that aren't GCSE heavy or don't mind a slightly lower UKCAT score. You can still make it.

My school teacher said the D will be a problem because I still have to declare it on my application. I'm just worried about getting 4 rejections then have my choices of uni's lowered even further. Thanks for the response :biggrin:
Well if it makes you feel better you got higher than me in the UKCAT:biggrin: Still apply, you might want to apply to at least some BMAT universities.

Quick Reply