Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At as I recieved a,c,e in sociology, psychology and biology. I am looking to apply for sociology at uni, howver I dont think these grades are good enough to be applying anywhere and I am really struggling with biology.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Why is it you are struggling with Biology? You are obviously a bright student if you achieved an A in Sociology. Psychology is a really challenging course I think, so to get a C in that is very good too. I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. If those are the only three subjects you have taken then you will need to commit to Biology to ensure you get 3 A-Levels for uni, but with that said, don't let yourself get disheartened by the 'grades' as many uni courses look at UCAS tariffs.*

You've got one year now to pull this off. Are there any after-school lessons you can look at for Biology, or joining some kind of study group? *

Please don't limit yourself. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sail999)
    At as I recieved a,c,e in sociology, psychology and biology. I am looking to apply for sociology at uni, howver I dont think these grades are good enough to be applying anywhere and I am really struggling with biology.
    Every little thing is gonna be alright!

I got DDE at AS but I still got conditional offers and managed to bring up my grades by the end of A2 and today, I work at Tesco... Lol jk I have a nice grad job and so will you one day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sail999)
    I do the same subjects as you, I'd say keep on top of revision and ask for help in bio, I guess it's getting harder tbh were in the same position

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    give them money

no but for real ACE is fine for AS, this year in clearing it seems you can do sociology at St Marys with 260 ucas points - which is equal to BBC or ABE, so have a look around the universities, check the requirements and tbh to get into keele all you'd need to do is maintain your efforts with sociology, and give psychology a little push.

Biology I'd recommend youtube video tutorials for - i know because it's the new spec you're a bit short on resources but there are still some videos out there, and I doubt it's drastically different from the old course so utilise them. Application questions are the hardest, and worth the most marks from my experience, so do as many past paper questions as you can and you'll be fine. Can't speak for psychology tho, at the end of the day even if you end up with EEE you can retake or do a foundation year or something it's not the end of the world.

But for now try and apply to one uni with your predicted grades as entry requirements, 2 slightly above and 2 slightly below. Make sure your personal statement is on point and get your head down for the next few months! You don't have to do 10 hours of revision a day, as long as you do atleast 1 or 2 hours a day (depending on difficulty), maybe a past paper a week, and it's consistent - you'll be fine. Biology is more memory work than anything, and when it comes to memorising things repetition and consistency is key. Like a language - if you don't speak it or hear it at all for even a few months straight you'll forget everything!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    honestly i thought you aced your subjects

get it... A-C-E

HAHA I'm here all day

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I too didn't do as well as I had hoped for AS, I got CEEE (Drama, music, chemistry, biology) :/
    but it most certainly isn't the end of the road. I decided to not apply for university during year 13, and would focus on my AS resit exams and A2 exams, and take a gap year in which I am applying to university. Perhaps this could be a suitable route for you, allowing you both time to explore all options and fully focus on exams, without worrying if you'll get any offers or meet any offers.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for all your advice, you really have brighten up my mood, so thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to resit any of your biology exams this year then? Or are you on the linear system where your grades do not actually count and you'll be resitting all of the exams anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.