Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think it's daft simply because I could find a load of "pure" Brits who would probably fail the test.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha exactly! thank you meggy for agreeing with me!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you grace, it's stupid. God knows what I'll have to go through when I move to France and get citizenship there (I want citizenship because I think you should have the right to vote in the country you're living in...without it I won't be able to vote in French presidential elections).

ReputationRep:
    Hello Grace, I'm in the same boat as you, have ancestry here though was born in a commonwealth country, I've lived here for four years now, and you know what's retarded, having to pay a whopping 15 grand a year uni tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    I have some advice.
    DON'T LIVE HERE, the UK sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    hahaha exactly! thank you meggy for agreeing with me!
    i agree to, it seems a bit mental, good luck anyway grace, the UK will be a duller place without you

hang on how come those who cant speak english can become british citizens then?

And it does happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadre_Of_Storms)
    i agree to, it seems a bit mental, good luck anyway grace, the UK will be a duller place without you

hang on how come those who cant speak english can become british citizens then?

And it does happen
    it's a new system they've just introduced.

no matter what happens i'm allowed to stay in the UK, they can never kick me out because of my ancestory. i would just have to keep forking out every five years to have my visa renewed, and wouldn't ever be able to take out any kind of a loan!

you only need a 75% pass rate anyway, and there are only 25 questions so it's hardly mentally taxing :rolleyes: just so much of a hassle and, in my opinion, completely unneccessary!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fair enough but for people like yourself it's obvious that you can speak and understand English - testing you on that sort of thing is a waste of time. I feel quite sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    look, we sent you to australia for a reason, get out you criminal.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha i've never been to australia in my life :cool:

the convicts were sent to oz.

the explorers and cannibals came to nz. we are the best of the bunch

ReputationRep:
    lol ^^ Some of us, in fact a lot, were free settlers and got lots of land!

Grace, I have no idea why they do this - suspect it's a reaction to coverage about "just letting anyone in". *shrug*

I recall that NZ is fairly easy to get into (compared to Australia), but no-one wants to live there because it's **** /kidding. Australia you have to prove everything twice, and then some. And you need to know the words to Kookaburra sits in the Old Gum Tree. And that classic gem from Radio National "G'day, g'day" by Macca.

ReputationRep:
    You guys, my test is today

and i'm feeling rather guilty because i didn't even read the guide book you're supposed to study! arrrrgh i'm a silly little fool.

Wish me luck! ;heart;

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine . Best of luck anyway :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    You're English can't have to be that good, there's tons of people here who can't speak a word yet theyve been here for at least 20 years. I guess the new system is to stop people like that coming, and obviously they cant discriminate by not giving you the test even if you're from and English speaking country.

ReputationRep:
    i passed wooohooooooo

and i can gaurantee that 70% of the British population would not have been able to pass :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    i passed wooohooooooo

and i can gaurantee that 70% of the British population would not have been able to pass :p:
    o0o, what were the questions like? :eek:

and congratsy!

ReputationRep:
    what questions were you asked?!

congrats, by the way!!!

edit: jinx to LPK :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, what were the questions like?

Should you put the milk in before the bag or after?
    To whom should you tug your forelock for... a)bus driver, b)Prime Minister, c)Old people, d) all of the above?
    Demonstrate the correct handling of a teapot?
    What is four shillings sixpence in 'new money'?

ReputationRep:
    nah it was just things like percentages of religions, important dates, commonwealth countries (erm, i'm from one...!) parliament, stupidly easy things like voting and drinking and some kind of hard ones as well

but i can't say the exact questions because you have to sign some confidentiality thing so that others taking the test can't read before hand what the questions are...!

ReputationRep:
    You're not allowed to say retarded. I got a warning for it

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.