The Student Room Group

CUSU Shadowing Scheme 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student1914
Sounds like you had a great time! I can't wait until I go next week! I've been told I'm getting my own room :u:.

Everyone gets their own room - it might be an empty room in the college, or your mentor/a volunteer gives up their room for a few nights so you can have it. They then share with a friend.
Hey! I did the Shadowing Scheme last January, and I absolutely loved it! I did natural sciences, but because it was pretty much organised by the students, I got to have a look at chemical engineering too. I stayed at King's college and it was absolutely excellent. If you're doing physics or maths, I think there's a physics workshop or something, definitely go to that. But in the end, I didn't apply to Cambridge, I decided it wasn't for me, but CUSU really helped me to see this. Feel free to ask questions!
They're usually a bit slow with the administration side of the Scheme...Nevertheless i'm pretty sure it will be a memorable experience with all the 3 course meals, ensuite accommodation, entertainment and so forth...Enjoy
Original post by Paralove
Everyone gets their own room - it might be an empty room in the college, or your mentor/a volunteer gives up their room for a few nights so you can have it. They then share with a friend.

I've been told I have to share with other shadows (of the same gender) when I arrive next week...
Reply 84
Original post by tripplea
I've been told I have to share with other shadows (of the same gender) when I arrive next week...

Same, are you staying at Queens as well?
Original post by thegsss
Same, are you staying at Queens as well?

No - Lucy Cavendish
Absolutely amazing experience! Had an 'informal formal' at Trinity College which was brilliant and the hall was spectacular. Went to a college I had never even heard of before, Fitzwilliam Colllege, and I loved it and I will definitely apply to it.

Wish it was longer though :frown:
It's hard to put this week into words and to pick something that I liked the 'most'. The compulsory dinner at St John's college for only shadows and mentors was an enjoyable experience. Main course was pleasant with the fish, snap peas and diced up roasted potatoes. After that dinner, my mentor, another mentor from same college and his shadow took us to the Cambridge Union society building to listen in on a talk. It was like the House of Commons in there. My mentor had a supervision earlier that I wasn't allowed to attend. This all happened on Thursday.

Friday, breakfast with mentor in the college then went to his 2nd year NatSci physical lectures. One about classical dynamics, another about differential equations and another about quantum mechanics. I went to one 1st year maths lecture about vector calculus. I only understood a few things in the physics lectures, but only knew what the signs mean in the maths lecture. Went to a 'meet the student' activity at Sidney Sussex college where there was like 30 boxes of Domino's pizza for the taking. Met a student who's well known on TSR. Suited up in the evening and attended a formal. Saw the popular Cambridge vlogger Ibz Mo. Made some new friends that I'll stay in contact with.

I think this best sums up my experience of the shadowing this week.
Original post by Student1914
It's hard to put this week into words and to pick something that I liked the 'most'. The compulsory dinner at St John's college for only shadows and mentors was an enjoyable experience. Main course was pleasant with the fish, snap peas and diced up roasted potatoes. After that dinner, my mentor, another mentor from same college and his shadow took us to the Cambridge Union society building to listen in on a talk. It was like the House of Commons in there. My mentor had a supervision earlier that I wasn't allowed to attend. This all happened on Thursday.

Friday, breakfast with mentor in the college then went to his 2nd year NatSci physical lectures. One about classical dynamics, another about differential equations and another about quantum mechanics. I went to one 1st year maths lecture about vector calculus. I only understood a few things in the physics lectures, but only knew what the signs mean in the maths lecture. Went to a 'meet the student' activity at Sidney Sussex college where there was like 30 boxes of Domino's pizza for the taking. Met a student who's well known on TSR. Suited up in the evening and attended a formal. Saw the popular Cambridge vlogger Ibz Mo. Made some new friends that I'll stay in contact with.

I think this best sums up my experience of the shadowing this week.

:eek: Wow, I didn't know you saw Ibz Mo!

Quick Reply