Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Is there any point in applying to a Russell Group university?

ReputationRep:
    OK, so it has been my ultimate dream for a long time to go to Oxford to study French and Linguistics, however I am really not sure whether it's worth applying to a Russell Group at the very least.
    Here are my GCSE grades:
    4A*, 4A, 7B, 2C and a Pass in Music BTEC.

I haven't been given any sort of grades with regards to A Level yet, but already I can see that I'm probably not going to do particularly well in at least 2 of my 4 subjects. I took English Language, French, Drama and Theatre, and Classical Civilisation.

So, is it actually worth thinking about applying to a Russell Group university?

Or shall I just wait until I get my predicted grades or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    French and linguistics, along with pretty much every language course in the UK, are universally undersubscribed everywhere

Apply to a few RGs and you'll still probably get offers, even if you don't match their entry requirements.

Even if that fails and you miss their offer or don't get any offers in the first place, there will be hundreds of language courses in clearing throughout the Russell Group that will probably take even lower grades

*also apply for some easier nonRGs incase your grades are really bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    French and linguistics, along with pretty much every language course in the UK, are universally undersubscribed everywhere

Apply to a few RGs and you'll still probably get offers, even if you don't match their entry requirements.

Even if that fails and you miss their offer or don't get any offers in the first place, there will be hundreds of language courses in clearing throughout the Russell Group that will probably take even lower grades

*also apply for some easier nonRGs incase your grades are really bad
    Ahh, okay, I see. I didn't think it was a particularly competitive course, when looking at the proportionate differences between languages and say, scientific subjects.

But thank you for the advice; I will take it on board.

Hopefully, multilingualism just helps my personal statement...

ReputationRep:
    I got ABBBBBBCDE (B in German) at GCSE.

CCDU (D in German) at AS and BBC (B in German) at A2.

I'm now going to Sheffield to study German, Dutch and Russian. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You'll probably be alright. Oxbridge might be off the cards but still worth a try at the very least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzanomics)
    I got ABBBBBBCDE (B in German) at GCSE.

CCDU (D in German) at AS and BBC (B in German) at A2.

I'm now going to Sheffield to study German, Dutch and Russian. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You'll probably be alright. Oxbridge might be off the cards but still worth a try at the very least.

Sorry I didn't reply--- been too busy with college
    Thanks for the advice though- can I ask what your D and E grades were in?

And that's very true- I may at least try!

Congratulations on getting into Sheffield though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenPolyglot)
    Sorry I didn't reply--- been too busy with college
    Thanks for the advice though- can I ask what your D and E grades were in?

And that's very true- I may at least try!

Congratulations on getting into Sheffield though!
    D was in Leisure & Tourism. E was in Food Tech.......

The course I'm now on is pretty competetive (for a languages course) and you need ABB to get on. So yeah, definitely worth trying to get into a RG uni if that's what you want. Remember that RG doesn't really mean anything for undergrads though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzanomics)
    D was in Leisure & Tourism. E was in Food Tech.......

The course I'm now on is pretty competetive (for a languages course) and you need ABB to get on. So yeah, definitely worth trying to get into a RG uni if that's what you want. Remember that RG doesn't really mean anything for undergrads though...
    Oh wow okay, that certainly gives me confidence

Fortunately, the highest grades I'd need are AAA...

But again, thank you largely for the help! Greatly appreciated

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.