Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just started my first year at college and so will be taking my AS levels next spring, and after that, applying for 2018 entry at uni, and am hoping to apply for Cambridge.

I know Cambridge used to look at AS levels and the UMS average as a deciding factor in whether they give you an offer or not, but considering the reforms, now that half the country won't be taking AS levels, only the A2 linear course, what will Cambridge look at instead?

At my college, we will still take the AS levels alongside the A2 linear, so does that mean they will use them as a deciding factor? And will they look at the UMS average?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...rimary_content This link is from a peterhouse AMA. They answer your question on the first page.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by emi.hopkins)
    I've just started my first year at college and so will be taking my AS levels next spring, and after that, applying for 2018 entry at uni, and am hoping to apply for Cambridge.

I know Cambridge used to look at AS levels and the UMS average as a deciding factor in whether they give you an offer or not, but considering the reforms, now that half the country won't be taking AS levels, only the A2 linear course, what will Cambridge look at instead?

At my college, we will still take the AS levels alongside the A2 linear, so does that mean they will use them as a deciding factor? And will they look at the UMS average?
    Linear AS/A-levels do not have UMS. Only the unreformed subjects (such as maths, for now) still have UMS.

Cambridge have added Admissions Assessments for most courses to add information to your application. The assessments are taken pre-interview for some courses, and at-interview for others. Courses such as Medicine (because of BMAT) and Maths (because of STEP) don't have these new tests.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.