Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

GCSE Music Composition

ReputationRep:
    Hi

if anyone with a higher knowledge of music & compositional skills could check out my composition and give me some advice for improvements I would be really grateful.

https://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...b124977c76cb0d

I'm doing music with OCR and this would be marked out of 20, 5 marks for the use of the instrument, 15 for the general quality (I think)

note: I couldn't get the pedal command to work, but the first section and last passage would be played with pedal

If you have any advice, or a gamble on what it would be marked at out of 20, I would be very happy to hear it

thank you!

ReputationRep:
    bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    one more time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I will clear up that I am GCSE level so I may not necessarily be correct and also I'm on EdExcel. However, I'm predicted full marks on my first composition so I may not be too bad at composition

Overall, you have a very good piece which is of a distinctive binary structure and you have used a wide range of advanced rhythms, especially in the B section. I like how this gives the piece two different personalities in a way

Improvements wise, I'd consider adding a modulated section of some kind to give the piece some more variety. Also, I felt that the introduction dragged a bit upon first impressions. I'm currently learning a piece now for my piano exam (it's called Nocturne No. 20 in C-sharp minor, Op. posth. by Chopin) and it has this two bar intro (it gets repeated). If you compose your own version then I feel it would really add to your piece

I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucylai26)
    First of all, I will clear up that I am GCSE level so I may not necessarily be correct and also I'm on EdExcel. However, I'm predicted full marks on my first composition so I may not be too bad at composition

Overall, you have a very good piece which is of a distinctive binary structure and you have used a wide range of advanced rhythms, especially in the B section. I like how this gives the piece two different personalities in a way

Improvements wise, I'd consider adding a modulated section of some kind to give the piece some more variety. Also, I felt that the introduction dragged a bit upon first impressions. I'm currently learning a piece now for my piano exam (it's called Nocturne No. 20 in C-sharp minor, Op. posth. by Chopin) and it has this two bar intro (it gets repeated). If you compose your own version then I feel it would really add to your piece

I hope this helps!
    Thank you so much for the reply!

The original link in this thread is actually quite outdated lol - it was my first ever time composing, and I was sticking far too strictly to what I could play immediately, rather than experimenting with different ideas etc. thus, it resulted in a piece which I am quite frankly completely disappointed and unhappy with. I've redrafted it now:

https://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...0730a9449c37ae

While I'm still not very happy with the piece, I've deduced that it's due to its nature rather than the fact there is something terribly wrong with it. Therefore, I've decided I will turn in the piece more or less as it is (with adjustments, we have 2 more lessons) and focus on my second composition, and composing something I actually enjoy listening to/playing. I think my lack of enthusiasm for the piece has rubbed off in the standard, but it's a definite improvement!

I agree with you completely about the improvements, and hope you get a completely different impression from the newer version. Any more tips would be great!

Note - the first section of the piece is supposed to depict pattering rain, with the second section giving the impression of a large flood/downpour

ps - Great job on your composition!

Thank you again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do GCSE Music, and i think your composition is amazing! my was really bad i got a D

ReputationRep:
    Can you send it in screenshots as I don't have a note flight account. I got 100% in composition and I'm doing A level music, grade 7 theory, and I've written fugues and harmonised Bach chorales, so I've got a good understanding of composition/harmonisation if you'd like me to have a look?

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.