Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I know nothing about computers or computer jargon, other than that I want a windows operating system. I would like someone to suggest laptops for me for £500 or under based on the following requirements:

- good for uni (e.g. can use word etc really well)
    - can stream netflix and live football well
    - good for football manager

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Just search online for laptops below £500 and look through the requirements im sure youll find one

ReputationRep:
    Anything with i5 processor and 4GB Ram would do the job

ReputationRep:
    If you've got a Unidays account you'll be able to get up to 30% off HP laptops, if not just sign up here and use your college email or portal to login myunidays.com/r/DRabMKDgtCg

ReputationRep:
    Look on Amazon for laptops that are under £500, there's lots.

You don't need an expensive laptop for uni work and streaming, don't be tricked by people telling you that you need a ton of RAM and CPU power. If you do want to run games on it just check against the minimum and recommended requirements for those games to see if you'd be able to run them. If you download games from Steam you can get a refund if it doesn't work or doesn't work well, as long as you played less than 2 hours total.

If you're going to be running Windows like you said just remember to keep it running nice by using something like CCleaner to keep it clutterfree and running nicely, and install an antivirus.

Some security stuff people should be aware of:
    Be careful about putting your USB sticks into public computers at university because sometimes they can copy viruses/trojans automatically to your USB sticks, when you put it back in your own laptop or PC it gets copied to that.
    Try and use things like Dropbox instead and obviously never forget your password for that You can also email the work to your own email address.

You may not believe it but it's pretty simple to turn on someone's webcam if they have one, so cover it up with tape when you're not using it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    Just search online for laptops below £500 and look through the requirements im sure youll find one
    I don't understand the jargon though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Try and get one with a graphics card, Lenovo ideapads are pretty decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Try and find something that says i5 or i7 processor and has a graphics card that doesnt say integrated graphics (if you want to do a lot of gaming).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blaze3211)
    Try and find something that says i5 or i7 processor and has a graphics card that doesnt say integrated graphics (if you want to do a lot of gaming).
    only football manager
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ideal specs are as follows:

i3 or i5 processor
    8GB of RAM (people are still seriously suggesting 4GB is enough?)

That's really all you need. A graphics card isn't important, you can run football manager off integrated graphics and save on money (and battery life).

Don't buy anything under £300. They're generally stream machines with pathetic specs.

This is probably the cheapest I'd recommend:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...37876-pdt.html

This is a bit more mid range in your budget:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...47524-pdt.html

This is the most powerful you'd find on your budget (or similar), also contains a graphics card to make football manager run that bit nicer:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...46352-pdt.html

You say that you don't understand tech jargon and just want advice but really it's in your best interest to understand it. Nowadays there's really no excuses for people not to have a bit of an idea what they're buying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Ideal specs are as follows:

i3 or i5 processor
    8GB of RAM (people are still seriously suggesting 4GB is enough?)

That's really all you need. A graphics card isn't important, you can run football manager off integrated graphics and save on money (and battery life).

Don't buy anything under £300. They're generally stream machines with pathetic specs.

This is probably the cheapest I'd recommend:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...37876-pdt.html

This is a bit more mid range in your budget:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...47524-pdt.html

This is the most powerful you'd find on your budget (or similar), also contains a graphics card to make football manager run that bit nicer:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...46352-pdt.html

You say that you don't understand tech jargon and just want advice but really it's in your best interest to understand it. Nowadays there's really no excuses for people not to have a bit of an idea what they're buying.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    any opinions on this one?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspir...863937&sr=1-10

ReputationRep:
    Try and look for HP G4 laptops, they are written "250" on the top of the screen.

With specs of i5 and 6GB ram

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It looks like a solid, no frills can of laptop. It probably won't last much longer than 3 years realistically but it'll serve you well enough for those as long as you look after it.

It looks like it'll be fine for general use & light gaming. I'd recommend searching for more product reviews just to ensure there's no manufacturing flaws with it that may appear after several months; Dell used to get slated in reviews because their manufacturing standards weren't great but they seem to have improved. I've get a Dell monitor & it's excellent so I wouldn't necessarily let the past put you off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.