angelfox
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys,

I know nothing about computers or computer jargon, other than that I want a windows operating system. I would like someone to suggest laptops for me for £500 or under based on the following requirements:

- good for uni (e.g. can use word etc really well)
- can stream netflix and live football well
- good for football manager

Thanks!
ikhan94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just search online for laptops below £500 and look through the requirements im sure youll find one
Another
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anything with i5 processor and 4GB Ram would do the job
BethanyC23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you've got a Unidays account you'll be able to get up to 30% off HP laptops, if not just sign up here and use your college email or portal to login myunidays.com/r/DRabMKDgtCg
catinsomehat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Look on Amazon for laptops that are under £500, there's lots.

You don't need an expensive laptop for uni work and streaming, don't be tricked by people telling you that you need a ton of RAM and CPU power. If you do want to run games on it just check against the minimum and recommended requirements for those games to see if you'd be able to run them. If you download games from Steam you can get a refund if it doesn't work or doesn't work well, as long as you played less than 2 hours total.

If you're going to be running Windows like you said just remember to keep it running nice by using something like CCleaner to keep it clutterfree and running nicely, and install an antivirus.

Some security stuff people should be aware of:
Be careful about putting your USB sticks into public computers at university because sometimes they can copy viruses/trojans automatically to your USB sticks, when you put it back in your own laptop or PC it gets copied to that.
Try and use things like Dropbox instead and obviously never forget your password for that You can also email the work to your own email address.

You may not believe it but it's pretty simple to turn on someone's webcam if they have one, so cover it up with tape when you're not using it.
angelfox
Rep:
?
(Original post by ikhan94)
Just search online for laptops below £500 and look through the requirements im sure youll find one
I don't understand the jargon though
Blaze3211
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by angelfox)
Try and get one with a graphics card, Lenovo ideapads are pretty decent.
Blaze3211
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by angelfox)
Try and find something that says i5 or i7 processor and has a graphics card that doesnt say integrated graphics (if you want to do a lot of gaming).
angelfox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blaze3211)
Try and find something that says i5 or i7 processor and has a graphics card that doesnt say integrated graphics (if you want to do a lot of gaming).
only football manager
angelfox
Rep:
?
Thank you!
angelfox
Rep:
?
Any other suggestions?
angelfox
Rep:
?
any opinions on this one?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspir...863937&sr=1-10
nerdling_CompSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Try and look for HP G4 laptops, they are written "250" on the top of the screen.

With specs of i5 and 6GB ram

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It looks like a solid, no frills can of laptop. It probably won't last much longer than 3 years realistically but it'll serve you well enough for those as long as you look after it.

It looks like it'll be fine for general use & light gaming. I'd recommend searching for more product reviews just to ensure there's no manufacturing flaws with it that may appear after several months; Dell used to get slated in reviews because their manufacturing standards weren't great but they seem to have improved. I've get a Dell monitor & it's excellent so I wouldn't necessarily let the past put you off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
16.81%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (38)
31.93%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.08%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.92%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.2%
I think it's an unfair expectation (29)
24.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.68%

Watched Threads