Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what type of virus is it? I mean what does it do + where does it come from? Is it like a download type virus cuz it tends to appear only when people download...hmmm....

ReputationRep:
    I get it all the time when i try to download music and stuff - its really easy to get rid of tho...

ReputationRep:
    Trojans give backdoor access to your machine, ie. they listen for commands on specific ports to change things or do whatever their author wants.

ReputationRep:
    i have norton internet security - it traces the backdoor access attempt on a map and allows you to report the IP to the host server :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemisshala)
    what type of virus is it? I mean what does it do + where does it come from? Is it like a download type virus cuz it tends to appear only when people download...hmmm....
    We had a Trojan a month or so ago and it totally ruined our computer and it took 3 weeks to sort out!

Avast removes them with style.

ReputationRep:
    Trojans are pretty nasty, but they're recognised by every virus scanner.

They spread as either a file or hidden in another (*.exe) file. Hence you have to actually download them.

Once downloaded, they give anyone with a Trojan Server program complete access to your computer. Usually, when you log on to the internet, the trojan reports you logging on to an IRC chatroom, where anyone with a Server can find you. Alternativly, the Server program allows people to scan an IP range to see if there are any infected computers.

What does it do? The server lets operators:
    • Access any files of information stored on your computer. Includes bank details, password, account numbers etc etc (if stored)
    • Log anything you type into the keyboard, including conversations with people, site logins
    • Control your printer, scanner, webcam, CD drive, speakers
    • Take screenshots of your desktop
    • Control your mouse
    • Restart your computer without warning

Nasty, if you get infected. However, a firewall and virus-scanner will protect you.

ReputationRep:
    That really depends on the firewall and virus scanner, suppose the trojan was one of the latest polymorphic ones around, it doesn't mean that the antivirus will protect from it, also if there are vulnerabilities in your firewall, like I had with Zone Alarm they can easily communicate with the "outside". The only true protection is common sense

ReputationRep:
    just watch out for obvious stuff on p2p like halo3.exe at 300kb. dont download and run anything with extensions, .exe .scr .vbs etc

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.