Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello Guys,

I am currently in Year 13 (A2) and i am studying Chemistry, Biology and Business Studies. For AS, I did those 3 subjects in addition with Maths. Unfortunately, I failed that due to a bad D1 exam. My grades for As were CCDE in Chemistry, Business Studies, Biology and Mathematics. Luckily, for my sixth form you need 3 D's to progress onto A2.

Now, my problem is i enjoy business Studies quite a lot (unfortunately i was 2 marks off a B) but I do enjoy a lot of chemistry as well in the fact that it is challenging but interesting. Biology is alright i guess, i do enjoy some parts of it (Hate plants ) . However, I have not written a personal statement and im not fully sure whether Pharmacy is my destiny. I do enjoy chemistry but i will miss business quite a lot, so i was wondering what courses could merge the two. In addition, is it quite bad i have not been to any open days for uni yet. Only one i kinda have been to was for Uni of Hertfordshire, it was like a school trip. The campus was good and they did like a mini lecture for us. So really my problem is i dont really know how to write a personal statement, i havent really been to open days so what do you guys suggest and what courses do you guys think i should do.

So any tips or tutorials on how to make a personal statement, what do you guys tend to do for an open day and any suggestions for courses. I know a lot of you probably went open days before A2 etc but at the time, i was stressing about not even passing my exams, so i thought that university was out of the question. So that is basically it, if you guys could help me that will very appreciated and if your in a situation of being in A2, good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Chemistry and business are very different, so the only way to really combine them is to do a joint honours course.

Open days aren't necessary to have done when writing your PS, but of course it is useful for knowing what course/unis to apply for

ReputationRep:
    For unis I'd say go through a list of them (check league tables if you so wish) and check what the grades are that they tend to look for, then order loads of prospectus' to your house - these are thankfully free! As long as you're not applying to Oxbridge or for Medicine/Veterinary Medicine/Dentistry you still have till January to complete UCAS.

Unis still have open days going in the next couple of months so once you've seen prospectus' and checked their websites you can still go and visit anywhere that interests you. As far as course choice, I can't say I can help you there. Research which course will be interesting to study, but also provide decent career prospects once you leave. In the end, you are working towards a particular career and you want to enjoy every day you work in this (I'd suggest checking National Careers Service and looking around to what relates to your subject interest).

All in all, it's not too late! You still have some time to sort everything out, don't panic and just take it step by step good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.