The Student Room Group

politics or economics for a-level?

Hi, I just chose my a levels but I'm reconsidering them right now. I have chosen: biology, physics, maths and politics.

I think I might want to do engineering at university but if not, I have an interest in law, journalism, media and maybe economics. I'm a bit worried about taking politics because people say it is a 'soft' a level and that economics might be more respected in comparison.

I'm thinking of changing politics to economics or geography. I don't really want to take English literature (although I know it is useful for law). I want to take a subject that will keep my options open for the future but is also respected at top universities. Does anyone have suggestions on what my fourth a-level should be?

Thanks
Hey I currently do geography and politics at A level, I can honestly say they were my two favourite subjects I also did English Literature(PLEASE DO NOT DO CHOOSE IT, SO HARD AND SO BORING) and history (very very very hard and draining). Politics is easy if you are already quite political and well clued up at AS it's only at A2 where it gets tricky. I loved geography but honestly it was fairly difficult to learn all the case studies but apart from that I really enjoyed it and the A2 course looks fantastic. Out of the 2 I'd say Geography is your best bet as I found it fun and interesting especially the climate change and natural disaster aspects, also it is a traditionally academic subject! Although politics isn't soft it's on the preferred list at uni's where I've checked! No idea about economics, good luck it's tough!

Quick Reply

Latest