Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much emphasis Cambridge (and other top universities) put on what you have done outside of school to show interest in your subject in your personal statement for NatSci? I have read books and keep up to date with science news at home but I am seeing some people who are listing research they have done and competitions they have won in their personal statements which is worrying me. My work experience is also not very relevant. Will this greatly disadvantage me when applying or should I be okay as long as my grades are good? Currently predicted A*A*AA in Maths, Physics, Biology and Software Development with over 89% average UMS. If biology is my main subject for NatSci but I have an A predicted and not A* will this be a factor? Also if I am applying to some universities for biological sciences but others for natural sciences should I write only about biology or about all the sciences I am interested in? Thanks
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ConorK98)
    Does anyone know how much emphasis Cambridge (and other top universities) put on what you have done outside of school to show interest in your subject in your personal statement for NatSci? I have read books and keep up to date with science news at home but I am seeing some people who are listing research they have done and competitions they have won in their personal statements which is worrying me. My work experience is also not very relevant. Will this greatly disadvantage me when applying or should I be okay as long as my grades are good? Currently predicted A*A*AA in Maths, Physics, Biology and Software Development with over 89% average UMS. If biology is my main subject for NatSci but I have an A predicted and not A* will this be a factor? Also if I am applying to some universities for biological sciences but others for natural sciences should I write only about biology or about all the sciences I am interested in? Thanks
    Your academics are more important than extracurriculars. Hardly anyone will have NatSci-relevant work experience and it's not required or expected.

Your PS should be written mostly for the other 4 universities. And you can write a Cambridge-specific one in the SAQ.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.