Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Looking for some advice, I have been working in a 1st/2nd line support role for over a year however the money is not that great, they don't really offer much training.

I dropped out of a university course in the 2nd year as the course was not what I expected and I didn't enjoy it, so my CV does not look great, although I do have a lot of personal experience in computing which I picked up myself.

I want to progress from a 1st/2nd line support role into a IT security role however I am unsure on which route to take? I am planning on studying for network + > CCNA R&S > CCNP Security.
    I can't decide whether to focus on studying for these certifications or to pickup some programming languages and aim towards application/web testing?

Am I also considering going back to university to do a computer science course, however not sure if I would be able to get any funding?

ReputationRep:
    That's enough experience to go straight into a development/engineering/testing/other technical support role. Have you put your CV online? You'll get a lot of attention for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I have experience in computing at home, GCSE & Alevels in IT, 1 years 1st/2nd line support experienceI know basics of HTML, ccs, and python.Would you advise giving CV to an agency?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymoussam)
    I have experience in computing at home, GCSE & Alevels in IT, 1 years 1st/2nd line support experienceI know basics of HTML, ccs, and python.Would you advise giving CV to an agency?
    Agencies exist to help companies with recruitment. They're effective at securing interviews for you, if your CV is good, after that it's all about how you impress the interviewer. For me my CV got me 13 interviews over the past 4 months but I passed 0 of them, says a lot more about me tbh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.