Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Economics Lovers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Ive just done economics AS and contemplating dropping it and taking up physics AS. Im an A grade student ( hoping for 260/300 UMS for economics), I also do further maths and chemistry. I was wondering if you lovely people could tell me whats in economics A2 and tell me why I should carry on

ReputationRep:
    Depends which exam board you're on. I did Edexcel Economics:

Unit 4: Industrial Economics

Unit 5: Either Development Economics or Labour Markets

Unit 6: The UK Economy in a Global Context

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/25199.pdf << Specification

Whether you should carry on or not depends on what you want to do for your degree. I found Economics to be really interesting and fun at A2 though, well worth it. Have you considered carrying on Economics and still doing A/S Physics?

ReputationRep:
    I thought about carring it on but at our school we can only do 4 subjects so I couldnt do economics. (FurtherMath counts as 2 as its an A-Level in a year). Im on AQA board bye the way

ReputationRep:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5...41-W-SP-05.pdf

There's the spec for AQA. Generally I think that universities look more kindly upon people who complete their A-Levels, as opposed to randomly dropping subjects and picking up more A/S's. What degree are you planning on doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5...41-W-SP-05.pdf

There's the spec for AQA. Generally I think that universities look more kindly upon people who complete their A-Levels, as opposed to randomly dropping subjects and picking up more A/S's. What degree are you planning on doing?
    yes i've heard the same that an A2 is better than 2 ASs

ReputationRep:
    I took AQA economics upto A2 level. Check out the AQA website for more info, but here is a brief guide.

Unit 4 -either coursework or a case study exam on the EU. I took the case study exam, and found it to be good - uses most of your knowledge

Units 5 and 6 - one for microeconomics, one for macro. it simply builds upon what you learnt last year. The exams are fair, but do feel a bit rushed for time. Also, there is no multi choice!

I would say go for the economics to A2. You would not be able to use your physics AS to do physics at uni as they would question why you hadnt done it for two years. So if you wish to do a maths, economics or similar degree, then go for economics!

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I can't say much about AQA but on Edexcel A2 is apparently much more interesting than AS and starts to become a proper discipline (AS is pretty noddy).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MickyFinstar)
    Hi, Ive just done economics AS and contemplating dropping it and taking up physics AS. Im an A grade student ( hoping for 260/300 UMS for economics), I also do further maths and chemistry. I was wondering if you lovely people could tell me whats in economics A2 and tell me why I should carry on
    Have a look at your signature, then come back.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Maths at uni, thanks for advice and the links guys

ReputationRep:
    Why are you "hoping for" 260 UMS? Will you be disappointed if you get, say, 261?

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Maths at uni, thanks for advice and the links guys
    I'd advise you carry on Econ then. Physics A/S won't expand any mathematical knowledge and so won't add much extra value to you, an A2 in anything will be better.

ReputationRep:
    I mean hoping for 260 or above, sorry didnt word it very well

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.