The Student Room Group

Are my Gcse's good enough for medicine?

I'm currently doing my AS Levels and I was hoping to study medicine in uni but I under performed in my GCSE's and only got 2As 5Bs and 2Cs (2As in both English and 2Bs in double science). I am studying Biology, Chemistry , Maths and English, should I even bother doing medicine as it is so competitive or should I change subjects and switch careers as I am hoping to get into a russell group uni to study medicine? And what is the minimum that I should be getting in my AS and A Levels to go onto a good russel group uni?

Also what unis should I be aiming for?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not going to lie here, your GCSE's do look quite low in comparison to a lot of medicine applicants. You'll need to rally focus on getting AAAA at AS and try to get predicted some A*s at A2.

You will also have to ace the BMAT/UKCAT and hope for the best. Biomedicine might be a more sensible option but maybe still try and apply for a med school or two??
Thanks for the advice I will definitely try to buckle down and aim for AAAA at AS. But will it be a gamble if I just try to apply to like 5 med schools such as Aberdeen and Cardiff who have lower GCSE requirements than others?
Reply 3
Original post by StudentInperil
Thanks for the advice I will definitely try to buckle down and aim for AAAA at AS. But will it be a gamble if I just try to apply to like 5 med schools such as Aberdeen and Cardiff who have lower GCSE requirements than others?

I thought you could only apply for 4 med schools? And yes, it would be a gamble but I'd say apply for 3 med schools and 2 Biomed courses so you'd stand a chance of getting a place at med school and you'd still have some alternatives
Your GCSE are good, but not good enough for Medicine.. I agree with the other post, you really have to ace your a levels an BMAT/UCKAT, if you are very dedicated. Also, are you sure this would be right for you? Medicine is a very challenging degree to study for.
I was actually thinking of applying for medicine and my gcse's were 1A* 7A's and 3 B's, yet a levels were CCEU lol, even though I am passionate for medicine, I learned that science is really not for me. So I am now applying for Business instead with much better a level results!
Don't want to sound rude of course. It's just that year of AS's really brought my confidence down as I found out that I am bad at something that I quite enjoy, wouldn't want someone experiencing the same scenario!

Cardiff required something like 8A*s minimum last year. Its one of the more GCSE heavy uni's. You could try Imperial who don't even look at your GCSE grades but you'll need perfect grades this year and a very high BMAT score. Hope this helps :smile:

Cardiff require around 8A*s at GCSE. And you can only apply to 4 med schools
I'm currently doing my AS Levels and I was hoping to study medicine in uni but I under performed in my GCSE's and only got 2As 5Bs and 2Cs (2As in both English and 2Bs in double science). I am studying Biology, Chemistry , Maths and English, should I even bother doing medicine as it is so competitive or should I change subjects and switch careers as I am hoping to get into a russell group uni to study medicine? And what is the minimum that I should be getting in my AS and A Levels to go onto a good russel group uni?

Nope its highly unlikely youll even get accepted at med schools since some require certain amount of As at Gcse around 5-6. And even those that dont because you didnt get alot of As its unlikely youll get As at a level. Best to focus on another career path although still aim for medicine but have something in the back of your mind that you would still like to go for.
I agree that your GCSEs are a bit low to consider doing medicine but not the end of the world; I got 8As, 2A*s, a distinction and a B and yet felt disadvantaged going into my A-Levels as other people wanting to study medicine had received all A*s, so just bear that in mind. If you are really passionate about science and medicine then I would advise to apply for biochem. I didn't like science that much and wasn't amazing at it so decided to change my career aspirations. If it's something that you really want to do, then there are other ways to achieve your goals. If you do apply for medicine straight off the bat then make sure you research which universities weight GCSEs more heavily than A-Levels.
You could still get 4As at AS so don't rule it out completely. Good luck! :smile:
I'd say research the individual requirements of each medical school. Make a list of the ones whose criteria you meet/exceed and apply accordingly. You must research the requirements of each medical school and apply according to the strengths of your application. As mentioned earlier, really try and nail your A levels, as well as UKCAT, BMAT etc.

Original post by AfcFob
I thought you could only apply for 4 med schools? And yes, it would be a gamble but I'd say apply for 3 med schools and 2 Biomed courses so you'd stand a chance of getting a place at med school and you'd still have some alternatives

I personally think OP should try to nail their AS levels and UKCAT, then apply to 4 med spots and 1 biomed backup. If they get no medicine offers but do well in their A2s, I'd recommend a gap year, provided those GCSE grades don't rule OP out of applying to too many medical schools.

If OP's GCSEs rule them out of applying to medicine altogether, then yeah, biomed followed by graduate entry medicine is probably a good option.

Hi there,

As many other posters have pointed out your GCSE grades are very low compared to the 5/6A* average of most medical applicants, because of this any medical school which considers GCSEs as part of the application and admissions process is very unlikely to offer you an interview.

You would need to work super hard at AS and A2 to get predicted and achieved between AAA and A*AA to meet requirements, the issue I have here is after achieving 2Bs at GCSE science, considering how much of a step up A2 level science are (especially chemistry) is it really realistic to think you can get A's or A* grades here and catch up with the rigorous competition? Consider this carefully as it is not worth going through all the hassle of applying to med and then falling at the last hurdle when your grades are lower than expected.

What are your C's in? this could impact on where will accept you? Also you cannot select 5 schools to apply to for med, only 4.

Med schools which will accept your GCSE grades include:
-Exeter: UKCAT heavy and like to see A*AA+ predicted and achieved at A2.
- Glasgow: UKCAT heavy.
- Newcastle: UKCAT heavy
-Plymouth: UKCAT heavy with emphasis on subsections.
- Southampton: UKCAT heavy.
- Imperial: BMAT heavy
- BSMS: BMAT heavy.

As you can see you would need to do extremlty well in the UKCAT and BMAT exams, for the UKCAT a score of 700+ would be needed really to make up for the weaker GCSE grades, but as this has shown you medicine is not ruled out, but under current admissions policies these are the only ones which will accept your grades and consieder you for an interview.

As for cardiff and aberdeen, cardiff required 8A* grades or more last year for their cut off, and aberdeen require great GCSEs (some A*s some As) x

Hope this helps x

If you truly want to pursue a career in medicine then go for it, there's no one to stop you. Except of course, your GCSES :wink: but I digress, for medicine most people will have better GCSEs than you but GCSEs standalone won't get someone into medical school. As long as you get A's in AS, high predictions and work hard to get A/A*s then this will overlook your performance at GCSE. And of course, ensure you have a range of work experience, personal statement is very well written and your admissions tests are high scoring, you'll get into any Russell group medical school regardless of your GCSEs. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice

But I feel like perhaps my GCSE's aren't good enough for medicine at all, I honestly think I am capable of much more and I believe with hard work I can do well in Biology and Chemistry AS but the question is what if I dont achieve AAAA and like you said is it worth all the hassle if I fail at the last hurdle.

Should I even bother with medicine despite it being something I've wanted to do for years.

I have applied for a remark in Additional Science and hopefully it comes back as an A and RE should also come back as an A too.

My 2Cs were in Spanish and Arabic.

This has been an eye opener for me as I am now considering whether I should just switch careers now.

What other careers would be good for me to pursue considering English is my strongest subject and I am interested in economics?

And what should I change my A Levels to if I don't do Science?

This doesn't mean I'm completely off medicine it's just Im trying to be realistic as medicine is extremely competitive and perhaps I should apply to both med and other degrees to.
Thanks for the advice

But I feel like perhaps my GCSE's aren't good enough for medicine at all, I honestly think I am capable of much more and I believe with hard work I can do well in Biology and Chemistry AS but the question is what if I dont achieve AAAA and like you said is it worth all the hassle if I fail at the last hurdle.

Should I even bother with medicine despite it being something I've wanted to do for years.

I have applied for a remark in Additional Science and hopefully it comes back as an A and RE should also come back as an A too.

My 2Cs were in Spanish and Arabic.

This has been an eye opener for me as I am now considering whether I should just switch careers now.

What other careers would be good for me to pursue considering English is my strongest subject and I am interested in economics?

And what should I change my A Levels to if I don't do Science?

This doesn't mean I'm completely off medicine it's just Im trying to be realistic as medicine is extremely competitive and perhaps I should apply to both med and other degrees to.

Trust me, medicine isnt off the cards at all and if it is really what you want to do you need to work hard and smash AS and A2. even if you dont get in first time around and apply with achieved AAA at A2 you could still get in, stay positive.
Original post by Natalierm2707

Med schools which will accept your GCSE grades include:
-Exeter: UKCAT heavy and like to see A*AA+ predicted and achieved at A2.
- Glasgow: UKCAT heavy.
- Newcastle: UKCAT heavy
-Plymouth: UKCAT heavy with emphasis on subsections.
- Southampton: UKCAT heavy.
- Imperial: BMAT heavy
- BSMS: BMAT heavy.

Did you memorise that or look each one up individually?
Original post by dairychocolate
Did you memorise that or look each one up individually?

Just before A2/AS results day I scoured admissions policies for each med school and made a comprehensive document about each universities admissions policy and minimum entry requirements so I could refer to that each time I am asked a question (I have made it publicly availible).

By now I have pretty much memorised the admissions policies of these universities, but do double check before posting.
Just before A2/AS results day I scoured admissions policies for each med school and made a comprehensive document about each universities admissions policy and minimum entry requirements so I could refer to that each time I am asked a question (I have made it publicly availible).

By now I have pretty much memorised the admissions policies of these universities, but do double check before posting.

Impressive + commendable.
Original post by dairychocolate
Impressive + commendable.

Thanks,

It gave me something worthwhile and productive to do over the summer, I really enjoy giving people some advice when they are unsure on TSR because I remember what I was like when I was in their position. Back to reality soon though when year 2 starts x
Thanks,

It gave me something worthwhile and productive to do over the summer, I really enjoy giving people some advice when they are unsure on TSR because I remember what I was like when I was in their position. Back to reality soon though when year 2 starts x

I get that.

Having gone through the process twice and using resources from this site, it's important to me that I give something back. But yeah, I'll be starting this friday so, as you say, back to reality.

Quick Reply

Latest