Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anybody know a bookshop in London where I can sell my books? Watch

I've completed the first year of my degree but I've switched degrees so won't be needing my current Univesity books. I went to CashConverters but they said I can only sell them for like 5p. My university library has said they'll only accept donations and Idea Stores don't buy books (as far as I'm aware of). I came across this website that buys books but don't know whether they're reliable or even trustworthy;
    https://www.webuybooks.co.uk/
    Has anybody tried out this website to sell their books? I prefer to sell my books at a shop so I can make instant cash. I'll be using that cash to buy my new books.

ReputationRep:
    You can sell your books on Amazon

ReputationRep:
    If there's a student society for the subject they might be able to put you in touch with someone wanting to buy.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Deleted for waste of time issues.

(Original post by SuperHuman98)
    You can sell your books on Amazon
    I don't want to wait till a customer wants to purhase which could be ages.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Amazon, ebay or via the uni website or noticeboards as they normally have a freshers booksale. You cna also see if they will do tradeins at yiur uni bookshop, which is normally Blackwells.
    *I don't want to wait till a customer wants to purhase which could be ages.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    *I don't want to wait till a customer wants to purhase which could be ages.
    I do apologise most profusely. I have deleted my post, sorry for wating your time.

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere will give you a good price.

Just put in the effort and sell on eBay, Amazon, and uni groups. That's the only way you stand a chance of making decent money back.
    It's really not that difficult.
    Convenience comes at a cost.

(Original post by Inazuma)
    Nowhere will give you a good price.
    I have books that cost up to £50 but I don't mind selling them for £20. Do you know of any places that that I can sell with that sort of price?

The reason why I'm not so keen of selling them on Amazon or Ebay is becuase I was studying an extremely rare course. You will barely find any student doing my old course and it's unlikely that I'll come across a customer who wants to buy my sort of books.*

ReputationRep:
    I have books that cost up to £50 but I don't mind selling them for £20. Do you know of any places that that I can sell with that sort of price?

The reason why I'm not so keen of selling them on Amazon or Ebay is becuase I was studying an extremely rare course. You will barely find any student doing my old course and it's unlikely that I'll come across a customer who wants to buy my sort of books.*
    Niche subjects are precisely ones that are more likely to find buyers online than in a shop - after all I presume yours weren't from a small second hand shop?
    If you can find the people (ie a subject facebook group) then even better.

And I don't know of any as nowhere I've heard of pay anything at all, let alone that price.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you give them to me, I will pay you in hugs?It's a win-win situation m8
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

If you can't find a buyer, any shop will also struggle to find a buyer. So they'll have money and display space tied up for ages, that could be used to stock something more likely to sell. They'll also have the risk that if they don't sell soon then new editions will be published and they'll be out of date.

So you'll have difficulty finding a shop that does what you want.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its supply and demand. Cant see why a ship should be taking the risk as they probably get books at half price or less. Better for them to stand a chance of making £25 than £5.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.