Turn on thread page Beta

Designer, High Street or Just Cheap? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    R u a lover for designer clothes who (like me) insists wearing the likes of French Connection, Diesel, DKNY etc? Or r u a high street person who's a sucker for Burton or Topshop, or r u just plain cheap who doesn't refuse a bargain from Primark every now and then? Please partake in the poll and then write ur fave shop/designer and xplain y. PLEAZE! And if u can, rate this thread plz.

ReputationRep:
    I have diesel jeans, CK jeans, but then again i have jeans from H&M, Next and George at ASDA! I buy stuff i like, i don't restrict myself by where it comes from. I have no problem admitting one of my favourite t-shirts was £3 from Primark, and i get great underwear really cheap from Tesco. I admit i want to look nice and like people telling me i look nice, but it doesn't have to be designer to look good!

ReputationRep:
    designer is just to show off you have money, if u have it
    high street, trousers so they can be the best fit, and shoes coz they hav to be comfortable.
    cheap, tops accesories etc

Edit: i know u mean just clothes but thats what i think abt the whole outfit

ReputationRep:
    I'd say mainly high street such as Topshop, New Look, etc, but i also am a serious bargain lover and i'll buy clothes from "sad" cheap shops like Peacocks or George @ Asda if they look nice. The other day my friend asked my where i got my trousers because she loved them and had been looking for some like them for ages; when i said Peacocks she was "Oh" and laughed and said she wouldn't get them because she doesn't shop in "those types of shops." That sort of attitude really annoys me as the clothes are perfectly good quality and get complimented but just because they are from certain shops then people won't wear them. It's pathetic, your clothes haven't got where they are from written all over them so people can't tell and if it looks good and is cheap then why not wear it?!

ReputationRep:
    The designer clothes you're referring to are high street to me.

Expensive, but still high street.

I put all three, but it's more the bottom too. I stull lust over designer stuff though.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with Siany and Sarky. With trousers, for instance, I rarely buy cheaper brands because names like Miss Sixty, Killah and Diesel are a much better fit on me and so I get more wear out of them (I have a real obsession with Miss Sixty jeans!). Most of my wardrobe comes from middling shops like Topshop, USC and River Island, but at the same time I'll wear cheap belts from Primark or wherever to jazz up an outfit, and have found some fantastic bargains in less trendy shops. On the other hand, I adore my Gucci watch (which was a present, I couldn't have afforded it myself) because it's stunning I think it sets off an outfit more than a cheaper version. I'm neutral really - I just buy things I like and that suit me, wherever they're from.

ReputationRep:
    I can never understand people spending £100's on clothes. I can't tell unless the label is plastered all over it, and that just makes it look cheap! Even when i have a good job and a better standard of living i won't be spending ridiculous amounts of money on things like that. I've seen kids with dior booties and burberry bottles. Sure its the parents choice, but who really cares?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icetopaz_h454)
    R u a lover for designer clothes who (like me) insists wearing the likes of French Connection, Diesel, DKNY etc?
    Sorry - I thought you said designer, not quasi-high street

ReputationRep:
    I tend to buy cheap tops from tesco!! just like t-shirts and strappy tops- or h&m or dorothy perkins, but i won't pay more than about £8 for a normal top!! going out tops i would pay a bit more for. I would pay more for trousers though...although my fave pair of jeans atm were £15 from mark one!! I have got jeans from lee cooper, diesel and such, but i wouldn't pay more than £50 for trousers, unless they were for a really special occasion. I really like a lot of the stuff in fat face at the moment, but don't know if my wallet will stretch to that at the moment!!
    I just buy what i like really, and don't really mind where it comes from!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I can never understand people spending £100's on clothes. I can't tell unless the label is plastered all over it, and that just makes it look cheap! Even when i have a good job and a better standard of living i won't be spending ridiculous amounts of money on things like that. I've seen kids with dior booties and burberry bottles. Sure its the parents choice, but who really cares?
    With certain more expensive pieces they may be better tailored and a better fit than a cheaper equivalent - but that's the only real reason I see for paying more. Paying over the odds just for a name when there's no difference in quality seems silly. I find it a bit ridiculous when tiny kids are in designer labels too - it doesn't matter how much cash you've got, it's a waste when they'll grow out of it in 5 minutes! And when my friends constantly tell me what make their top is from and how expensive it was, it just seems pointless, as it looks like it could have been from any high street shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    With certain more expensive pieces they may be better tailored and a better fit than a cheaper equivalent - but that's the only real reason I see for paying more.
    Totally agree. When it come to shirts and the like I always get them from Austin Reed - they might cost 2-3 times more than Next er al. but they don't lose there shape unlike stuff from Next and other shops. Same with their suits. AR suits last and last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    With certain more expensive pieces they may be better tailored and a better fit than a cheaper equivalent - but that's the only real reason I see for paying more. Paying over the odds just for a name when there's no difference in quality seems silly. I find it a bit ridiculous when tiny kids are in designer labels too - it doesn't matter how much cash you've got, it's a waste when they'll grow out of it in 5 minutes! And when my friends constantly tell me what make their top is from and how expensive it was, it just seems pointless, as it looks like it could have been from any high street shop.
    Of course, you get what you pay for and i don't mind paying extra sometimes for something that is likely to last longer and fit better . I guess i mean more like £400 for a pair of jeans or a bag, thats ridiculous to me.

ReputationRep:
    With me, if i like it, i buy it. Regardless of the price. Although, i do hate those 'label' parties some people have, makes me feel sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    With me, if i like it, i buy it. Regardless of the price. Although, i do hate those 'label' parties some people have, makes me feel sick.

I didn't think i had any innocence left but...People really do that? How sad!

ReputationRep:
    I shop everywhere! I don't see any point in restricting what you wear to just one particular specification, if I see something I like, regardless of what shop it's in, I'll buy it! Cost permitting of course
    My favourite shops are Urban Outfitters, Hennes and Rokit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

I didn't think i had any innocence left but...People really do that? How sad!
    yeah. more of the middle class have seemed to do it. But i also hate it when you get those celebrities who won't (for example) have their drink stirred in a particular way etc when there is so much suffering in the world.....

ReputationRep:
    I suppose the only reason I like wearing designer clothes is because I feel that they fit me better than clothes u get from a normal highstreet shop. I don't mind payin the xtra cost, but I refuse 2 go 2 overboard. My designers are actually more like high street (FCUK, Diesel etc), and thats mainly cos I live in jeans and tshirts. I also wear tracksuits and only wear Nike trainers because they are the most comfortable for my feet (sometimes Adidas are aite). I also look better in designers, they suit me more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil-pink-stars)
    I shop everywhere! I don't see any point in restricting what you wear to just one particular specification, if I see something I like, regardless of what shop it's in, I'll buy it! Cost permitting of course
    My favourite shops are Urban Outfitters, Hennes and Rokit
    I guess me too to a certain extent. Primark are always good for something that you aren't plainning to keep for ever! UniQlo are fantastic for fitted t-shirts and the like...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I guess me too to a certain extent. Primark are always good for something that you aren't plainning to keep for ever! UniQlo are fantastic for fitted t-shirts and the like...
    No no no, you want Hennes for t-shirts, £1.50 from the Kids Dept

ReputationRep:
    Mostly designer, but if you want something like a plain ls black tshirt then you just take a trip to next or whatever, and if you want some underwear/socks you go to asdaaaaa!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.