Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My life revolves around school and i'm starting to get quite sad about it Watch

yeah i have good grades and all, after all my life revolves around it. But im at sixth form now and feel quite empty in general about life. i do the work at school, at home i got nothing to do, i got nowhere to go. I see people at school going out with their friends during break, people with relationships, people with a circle, and i think to myself i want some of that.
    i got friends, but i still feel empty, it's perhaps i'm craving for something more than a friend.

i enjoy going to school because i get to see people, i get some kind of interactions with teachers and classmates, and when i get home i realise that all of that is only possible at school.

anyone have any wisdoms on this? school doesnt last forever and i havent thought beyond whats going to happen to me after school is finished.

ReputationRep:
    I was mega unhappy at sixth form. It was so damn cliquey. I promise you that the best is yet to come.*

ReputationRep:
    were you brought up by parents who wouldn't let you go out by yourself? that is one of the possible reasons why you feel this way. You can't look beyond academia because you don't know it, and only one group of people can show you that way round.

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    were you brought up by parents who wouldn't let you go out by yourself? that is one of the possible reasons why you feel this way. You can't look beyond academia because you don't know it, and only one group of people can show you that way round.
    not at all. i went to school by myself in year 3 and went home by myself again, and i lived in london. they trust me. i really thought sixth form was where everyone come together cos it's smaller than lower school but everyone goes off in their own group. who can show me the way round?

(Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    I was mega unhappy at sixth form. It was so damn cliquey. I promise you that the best is yet to come.*
    what was your experience like in detail? to be honest, i had such high hopes for sixth form, but it's such a flop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    not at all. i went to school by myself in year 3 and went home by myself again, and i lived in london. they trust me. i really thought sixth form was where everyone come together cos it's smaller than lower school but everyone goes off in their own group. who can show me the way round?
    basically, have your parents taken you anywhere that is not into town or within the school, just to broaden your horizons a bit? that would have started a hobby that you continue right up to this day. Instead it seems you didn't seem interested in anything. But now is not too late, you could get a gym membership and attend classes? Or join other sports clubs or social groups? (they don't have to be at sixth form)

Hey, I think the majority feel that way at some point during 6th form - I know I definitely did at some points when my closest friends werent around so I'd have to hang out with people I called friends but weren't really. More like people who I spent time with during free's. I don't really have any advice but I thought it might help to say that you're definitely not alone.

It's just some people are satisfied with supeficial relationships and some arent. I'm guessing you're quite a sentimental person?

About outside of school, I'd suggest finding a sports/e.c club outside of school to have a fresh start and meet new people.

ReputationRep:
    I had that issue and still do. My best mate had his 18th last week and I had to be home by 10...
    I'm at a sixth form where people come predominantly from 2 schools in the area, but I have come from further out. I find that people have gone off into their own groups and I've been left stranded, and also my mates from secondary school have flaked on me (other than the guy that I mentioned earlier).
    I am super cool and outgoing when I have the opportunity, such as during the couple of summer schools I've been to, since everyone was strangers I found it really easy. I feel so lonely atm it's unbearable.

ReputationRep:
    I felt the same way as you but I've found a friendship group I belong in now, have you tried approaching anyone else in your school? As annoying as cliques are, everyone wants to find a place they belong to
    Also hobbies, clubs and even getting a part-time job can help you meet new people

Posted from TSR Mobile

basically, have your parents taken you anywhere that is not into town or within the school, just to broaden your horizons a bit? that would have started a hobby that you continue right up to this day. Instead it seems you didn't seem interested in anything. But now is not too late, you could get a gym membership and attend classes? Or join other sports clubs or social groups? (they don't have to be at sixth form)
    that is a problem since my parents work all the time, they didnt take me anywhere this summer. this lead me to want to move out and do things independently cos i cant depend on them to broaden my life anymore than they have. but i'll definitely go out more often by myself and try to see places base on your advice.i've just been so lost lately on what to do cos right now it's literally like those office workers: transport, work, sleep. on the weekend it's social media, which i think is a problem but i just cant seem to put them down yet, even though i know it's one of the source of unhappiness

(Original post by goatygoat)
    I had that issue and still do. My best mate had his 18th last week and I had to be home by 10...
    I'm at a sixth form where people come predominantly from 2 schools in the area, but I have come from further out. I find that people have gone off into their own groups and I've been left stranded, and also my mates from secondary school have flaked on me (other than the guy that I mentioned earlier).
    I am super cool and outgoing when I have the opportunity, such as during the couple of summer schools I've been to, since everyone was strangers I found it really easy. I feel so lonely atm it's unbearable.

yes it does help to know i am not alone, good luck with whatever you wish for!

(Original post by AverageC00Lchick)
    I felt the same way as you but I've found a friendship group I belong in now, have you tried approaching anyone else in your school? As annoying as cliques are, everyone wants to find a place they belong to
    Also hobbies, clubs and even getting a part-time job can help you meet new people

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ive been talking to new people in class, but since it's only the first week, i can't expect a full on friendship yet i just started to read novels again, i would love to be in some sort of book worm club, but i'll have to look around to see.

ReputationRep:
    This is how I feel about my sixth form as well :\ Its part of my secondary school so I didn't have the chance to have a fresh start and I really regret not going somewhere else. I have to go back there tomorrow *cries*.
    But I'm looking forward to university- I'll be able to start somewhere new in a different part of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    what was your experience like in detail? to be honest, i had such high hopes for sixth form, but it's such a flop
    Sixth form was bad for my mental health. I have a clear memory of this and I left a decade ago.

I went to college to do evening courses whilst at sixth form and this was a much happier experience. If I could rewind I'd have dropped sixth form and just done more courses at college.

Do what makes you happy people. It's important to look after that aspect of your life in your formative years.*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.