Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am wondering what topic everyone is on in higher maths?

I am on recurrence relations but have had to go back and do intersecting circles as my really quite terrible teacher forgot to teach it and needed me to actually tell her it was on the course.
    The teacher is really not good and moves dreadfully slow. I am also concerned they do not know the course (first time teaching in Scotland in over 13 years). As such, I am concerned we are falling behind so if you can say what topic you are on I'd really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethan100)
    Well me class has a good teacher, we have finished 2 topics and are close to finishing the 3rd. Haven't done your topics yet.
    Ye, we're doing unit 3 first (dont know why)

ReputationRep:
    We've done recurrence relations, the straight line and the circle so far, we start differentiation this week.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel you are falling back, I would recommend trying to self-teach Higher Maths to keep up with the syllabus as there is a lot to cover, contentwise. Either that or get a good tutor. If all else fails it may be worth taking up the issue of your teacher with school management.

ReputationRep:
    We've done recurrence relations, straight line, functions, trigonometry and differentiation.

ReputationRep:
    We are doing differentiation at the moment. We've done straight line, functions and graphs, recurrence relations, exponentials and logarithms, and trigonometry

ReputationRep:
    How'd I do this question ?

Find the coordinates of the point on the curve
    Y=2x(2)-7x+10 where the tangent to the curve makes an angle of 45* with the positive direction of the X-axis.
    The 2 in the bracket is supposed to be squared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No_username_)
    How'd I do this question ?

Find the coordinates of the point on the curve
    Y=2x(2)-7x+10 where the tangent to the curve makes an angle of 45* with the positive direction of the X-axis.
    The 2 in the bracket is supposed to be squared
    almost certainly to late to help! ahahah

Anyways, this is for anyone reading:

To find out where the tangent cuts this parabola, we must determine the equation of the tangent. We know it creates a 45 degree angle with the x axis, and using our formula from nat 5: m = tanTHETA we get the gradient as 1.

This means that where y = x is the equation of the tangent. We know that at points of intersection the coordinates are the same. This means we can set these equal to each other Y=2x(2)-7x+10 AND y = x

this gets you to 2x(2)-7x+10 = x

You can then factorise this (by moving x over) and setting equal to 0 to find the x co-ordinates of intersection. Sub these co-ordinates in to get Y.

edit: Seems like a really hard question, not sure if I have solved correctly (when setting lines equal to each other). Can anyone confirm?

edit: realised its much much simpler. Just differentiate the equation and find where dy/dx = 1 :/

Oops lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.