Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have to write an essay for or against psychology being taught alongside other sciences i wrote some and was hoping somebody could please mark it thank you.

Pre-psychology summer work
    "Psychcology is a science and should therefore be taught with the other science subjects at school"
    Science, in very complicated and vague terms, is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment (this definition was taken from google translate). This definition can be applied to almost every subject that we in the present world are able to undertake since most of what we know came from the observation of the behavior of the physical and natural world, examples of these are biology, math, chemistry, psychics, and even Floristry. Other disciplines like criminology and psychology could also be considered sciences since we humans are also part of and intertwined with the natural and physical world, however, since definitions differ with every person, one individual's idea may categorize psychology as a science while another's definition may have it miles apart; due to this analysis every varied definition would need a large amount of time and as such I will focus on the translation provided by Google. I will argue for the statement mentioned above, but will offer arguments against it to show both sides of the coin and reach a solid and correct conclusion. Although I am for the statement, I do believe that secondary students should have a choice to study a GCSE psychology, but, it should not be forced on them.
    Firstly, psychology is a subject which relies on empirical evidence and empirical evidence does not rely on an argument or belief, which a subject like Biology does. The theory of Darwin is the best example as it is impossible to prove entirely without any holes and since there are no more evolving apes to observe, we cannot come to the conclusion we were once apes. And even if we were to find a skull between an ape and human it does not prove we evolved since there are countless possibilities which could be at play, hence a theory like this in biology is not empirical or even logical but, based on the belief of people like religion. Psychology, however, is free of defects like this which make it more of a science, hence I believe that psychology should replace biology or integrate into the three primary sciences and be used as a baseline to decide what is a science and what a science is not. Furthermore, a hypothesis in Psychology can only be proven if visible evidence is provided, which in this case could be an experience, the experience is gained through your senses, such as your hearing, you may redo an experiment countless times and were the subjects to create the same noise you would be experiencing the same thing which you can use as evidence. Another more intricate example involves our cognitive function if somebody was to try and prove a hypothesis such as " different situations draw out different effects in people" he could use his five senses or power of observation. For example, if somebody with social anxiety was given a blindfold and noise cancelling headphones in a social gathering which he is unaware of, he would not panic or get heart palpitations because he does not need to worry about humiliating himself or being seen as incompetent but, once he realizes where he is he would instantly start sweating or may even faint, if this experiment was carried out countless times with the same effect it would be sufficient evidence to prove the hypothesis true because you are observing their actions with your own eyes and if they were to suddenly jump when realizing where they are, it could be recorded as empirical evidence , it is the same for all of your five senses, they all play a part in proving the hypothesis. Knowledge gained through this method would without a doubt fall under the “observation of the natural and physical world”. This, as defined by Google, makes psychology a science and, in fact, to prove a hypothesis in psychology requires advanced Critical thinking, and analytical skills as well as, Communication and interpersonal skills. These skills are needed in almost every science, especially psychology, which reinforces the point that psychology is a science. A subject such as this would be extremely difficult for students to study and pass, however, if taught properly over a period students will acquire valuable skills which could be used to boost their chances of going to university as well as getting jobs which are demanding in these sectors. Students desiring to study medicine or philosophy would more likely be accepted since psychology has diverse roots in these areas. On top of this, the ideas psychology presents are popular in everyday life because the subject of psychology is people. Communication skills with other people are vital because we live in societies with different people and have to interact with them daily, studying psychology hugely benefits teamwork and understanding behaviour. Lastly, psychology could help children counter kidnapping, if a criminal lures someone in with something they wish for, they may even be able to use it on themselves if they suffer from depression.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Pre-psychology summer work
    "Psychcology is a science and should therefore be taught with the other science subjects at school"
    Science, in very complicated and vague terms, is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment (this definition was taken from google translate). Not necessary - what's the definition your textbook gives you? What's your definition? What does a subject have to do to be considered a science? Are there general laws? (the answer is yes - what are they?)

This definition can be applied to almost every subject that we in the present world are able to undertake since most of what we know came from the observation of the behavior of the physical and natural world, examples of these are biology, math, chemistry, psychics, and even Floristry.

Other disciplines like criminology and psychology could also be considered sciences since we humans are also part of and intertwined with the natural and physical world, (specific examples? Specific approaches within Psychology use experiments and testable hypothesis to prove their theories - that is what makes it scientific. It also has approaches which disagree with testing and promote individuality, focusing on feelings and thoughts, which we can't test.)

however, since definitions differ with every person, one individual's idea may categorize psychology as a science while another's definition may have it miles apart; due to this analysis every varied definition would need a large amount of time and as such I will focus on the translation provided by Google. I will argue for the statement mentioned above, but will offer arguments against it to show both sides of the coin and reach a solid and correct conclusion. Although I am for the statement, I do believe that secondary students should have a choice to study a GCSE psychology, but, it should not be forced on them. (they do have a choice? It's not forced on anyone? Only a small handful of secondary schools will provide GCSE Psychology)

Firstly, psychology is a subject which relies (does it?) on empirical evidence and empirical evidence does not rely on an argument or belief, which a subject like Biology does. The theory of Darwin is the best example as it is impossible to prove entirely without any holes and since there are no more evolving apes to observe, we cannot come to the conclusion we were once apes. And even if we were to find a skull between an ape and human it does not prove we evolved since there are countless possibilities which could be at play, hence a theory like this in biology is not empirical or even logical but, based on the belief of people like religion.
    (There are approaches within Psychology called ethology and the evolutionary theory which specifically look for similarities in human and animal behaviour and link everything back to our behaviour being an innate need for survival)

Psychology, however, is free of defects like this which make it more of a science, hence I believe that psychology should replace biology or integrate into the three primary sciences and be used as a baseline to decide what is a science and what a science is not. Furthermore, a hypothesis in Psychology can only be proven if visible evidence is provided, which in this case could be an experience, the experience is gained through your senses, such as your hearing, you may redo an experiment countless times and were the subjects to create the same noise you would be experiencing the same thing which you can use as evidence. Another more intricate example involves our cognitive function if somebody was to try and prove a hypothesis such as " different situations draw out different effects in people" he could use his five senses or power of observation. For example, if somebody with social anxiety was given a blindfold and noise cancelling headphones in a social gathering which he is unaware of, he would not panic or get heart palpitations because he does not need to worry about humiliating himself or being seen as incompetent but, once he realizes where he is he would instantly start sweating or may even faint, if this experiment was carried out countless times with the same effect it would be sufficient evidence to prove the hypothesis true because you are observing their actions with your own eyes and if they were to suddenly jump when realizing where they are, it could be recorded as empirical evidence , it is the same for all of your five senses, they all play a part in proving the hypothesis. Knowledge gained through this method would without a doubt fall under the “observation of the natural and physical world”. This, as defined by Google, makes psychology a science and, in fact, to prove a hypothesis in psychology requires advanced Critical thinking, and analytical skills as well as, Communication and interpersonal skills. These skills are needed in almost every science, especially psychology, which reinforces the point that psychology is a science. A subject such as this would be extremely difficult for students to study and pass, however, if taught properly over a period students will acquire valuable skills which could be used to boost their chances of going to university as well as getting jobs which are demanding in these sectors. Students desiring to study medicine or philosophy would more likely be accepted since psychology has diverse roots in these areas. On top of this, the ideas psychology presents are popular in everyday life because the subject of psychology is people. (No - the subject of Psychology is the behaviour - how and why)

Communication skills with other people are vital because we live in societies with different people and have to interact with them daily, studying psychology hugely benefits teamwork and understanding behaviour. Lastly, psychology could help children counter kidnapping, if a criminal lures someone in with something they wish for, they may even be able to use it on themselves if they suffer from depression.

You've used some good terms (empirical, hypothesis, observation, experiment), but overall, your references to Google make me think that you've just Google'd the whole thing.
    You have some good points, but there's no structure to the essay and there's a lot of waffle.

Point, (What's the point you're making) Evidence (what evidence can support your point?) Explain (Explain how they link/why its relevant) Link (link it to the original question)

This is a massive debate in Psychology. There is no right or wrong answer. (Different schools will base Psychology in either a Science or a Humanities department, for example.) What is your opinion? Can we test behaviour? Can we test emotions? Can I apply my findings to every human in the world?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thanks for the suggestions and reply, most of that stuff I do not know Since I just started psychology like last week in A levels, I just wrote what I understood only 16 if that makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xalipha)
    Yeah, thanks for the suggestions and reply, most of that stuff I do not know Since I just started psychology like last week in A levels, I just wrote what I understood only 16 if that makes a difference.
    You and every other AS student

Even if the content isn't spot on, your literacy skills and structure can still be assessed. Surely you were given direction on where to look for the information?
    Suggested readings? Textbooks?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, it was work for the summer was not given anything, also that was a sample and i have now finished the entire thing so would you mind looking at that.

Pre-psychology summer work"Psychcology is a science and should therefore be taught with the other science subjects at school"Science, in very complicated and vague terms, is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment (this definition was taken from google translate). This definition can be applied to almost every subject that we in the present world are able to undertake since most of what we know came from the observation of the behavior of the physical and natural world, examples of these are biology, math, chemistry, psychics, and even Floristry. Other disciplines, like criminology and psychology could also be considered sciences since we humans are also part of and intertwined with the natural and physical world, however, since definitions differ with every person, one individual's idea may categorize psychology as a science, while another's definition may have it miles apart; due to this, it would be extremely difficult to analyse every definition and it would need a large amount of time, and as such I will focus on the translation provided by Google to argue for the cause.Firstly, psychology is a subject which relies on empirical evidence and empirical evidence doesn't rely on an argument or belief which a subject like Biology does in some sections. The evolution of humans from apes is the best example as it is impossible to prove entirely without any holes and since there aren't anymore evolving apes to observe, we cannot come to the conclusion we were once apes. And even if we were to find a skull between an ape and human it does not prove we evolved since there are countless possibilities which could be at play, hence a theory like this in biology is not empirical or even logical, but based on the belief of people like religion. Psychology, however, is free of defects like this which make it more of a science, hence I believe that psychology should replace biology or integrate into the three primary sciences and be used as a baseline to decide what a science is and what a science is not. Furthermore, a hypothesis in Psychology can only be proven if visible evidence is provided, which in this case could be an experience, the experience is gained through our senses, such as your hearing, you may redo an experiment countless times and were the subjects to create the same noise you would be experiencing the same thing which you can use as evidence. Another more intricate example involves our cognitive function if somebody was to try and prove a hypothesis such as " different situations draw out different traits in people" you could use your five senses or power of observation to prove it for example, if somebody with social anxiety was given a blindfold and noise cancelling headphones in a social gathering which he is unaware of, he would not panic or get heart palpitations because he does not need to worry about humiliating himself or being seen as incompetent but, once he realizes where he is he would instantly start sweating or may even faint, if this experiment was carried out countless times with the same effect it would be sufficient evidence to prove the hypothesis true because you are observing their actions with your own eyes and if they were to suddenly jump when realizing where they are, it could be recorded as empirical evidence , it is the same for all of your five senses, they all play a part in proving the hypothesis. Knowledge gained through this method would without a doubt fall under the “observation of the natural and physical world”. This, as defined by Google, makes psychology a science, and in fact, to prove a hypothesis in psychology requires advanced Critical thinking, and analytical skills as well as, Communication, and interpersonal skills. These skills are needed in almost every science, especially psychology, which reinforces the point that psychology is a science. A subject such as this would be extremely difficult for students to study and pass, however, if taught properly over a period students will acquire valuable skills which could be used to boost their chances of going to university as well as getting jobs which are demanding in these sectors. Students desiring to study medicine or philosophy would more likely be accepted since psychology has diverse roots in these areas. On top of this, the ideas psychology presents are popular in everyday life because the subject of psychology is people. Communication skills with other people are vital because we live in societies with different people and have to interact with them daily, studying psychology hugely benefits teamwork and understanding behaviour. Lastly, psychology could help children counter kidnapping, if a criminal lures someone in with something they wish for, they may even be able to use it on themselves if they suffer from depression. Science is typically approached systematically, the research is not random, however, in psychology research is conducted unmethodically and every personality provides different results for different experiments and as such there is no one solution to a problem, for example, a theory such as "depression leads to suicidal thoughts no matter who the individual",is impossible to solve, but psychologists will still attempt to find an average which will inevitably lead to a biased conclusion. If a psychologist is approached by a patient, they would most likely be unable to accurately identify and solve the patient's problem since they do not know how his or her brain responds to stimuli. The variable which causes the greatest difference is religion, a patient who does not believe in God is most likely to blame anything he can for his problems even it is not related to him. However, a patient who does believe in God is more likely to accept his condition and praise God for it since he was given so much mental and psychical luxury prior to his condition, using this scenario if a psychologist miraculously proved the hypothesis "depression leads to suicidal thoughts no matter who the individual" by interviewing patients who all felt the same way and discovered a solution to it she would be unable to treat the religious patient with it because he has a different perception of the problem and as such psychology eventually completely turns subjective which science is not. Going further into this complication religion is not the only variable at play, people could be affected by family, culture, tradition, race, and countless other values. If all of this is considered psychology can never truly be a science until psychologists uncover universal human psychological processes which we all know is a fool's errand. Furthermore, scientists establish variables before they conduct an experiment such as the voltage of the PSU, however in psychology it is impossible to establish certain things such as the exact level of fear a patient feels to react in a certain way, this is also directly connected to the previous point creating a larger complication, even if two patients were religious the same solutions may not work because the level of emotion the patients feel is different, in this sense psychology lacks a prime aspect of a science which is objectiveness. Lastly, psychology lacks paradigms which according to Google takes psychology out of the fold of science, since science involves "encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world". While Psychology simply finds explanations for questions making it extremely difficult to observe entirely which leads to the fatal mistake of making predictions. A subject as confusing as this should not be taught in school since most students will probably fail and be rattled for along time, additionally psychology may cause a child to question things, for example why killing is considered an evil, and with no answer he may go ahead and murder unaware of why its wrong, there are countless possibilities which may ruin his life.To conclude, The lack of paradigms and the subjectiveness of psychology leads the subject to a biased path and hence it loses a major part of science, however, psychology also relies on the observation of the natural and physical world, it gathers information and solutions, along with evidence. This is a fundamental part of science and thus I can accurately say Psychology is a science and where it lacks, it makes up for with its large observation related sector. Psychology should be taught in schools as it can provide greater opportunities to great minds, whether through opening children's mind to great ideas or giving them invaluable analytical skills, the benefits psychology have to offer far outweighs the bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.