sfaraj
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
1) What does weighted mean in this statement? : Relative atomic mass of an element is the weighted average atomic mass of the element relative to 1/12 the mass of an atom of the C12 isotope.

2) Why do we use 1/12 the mass of an atom of the C12 isotope? (My teacher said its because it is thought to be stable)

3) What does the relative atomic mass of chlorine (35.5) tell you about the relative abundance of the 2 naturally occurring isotopes of chlorine 37 and chlorine 35?
sfaraj
Rep:
?
bump
sfaraj
Rep:
?
pls
Ishan_2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is very simple GCSE knowledge, and simple maths.

1) Weighted - depending on the abundance of certain isotopes in the world, the atomic mass is calculated as an average.
It's the same maths used when calculating a mean in a frequency table in maths.

2) Carbon-12 has a stable arrangement (6 protons, 6 neutrons, 6 electrons), is relatively common in the world, and is a solid at a normal temperature, so is easy to store and transport. So, it's convenient to use Carbon.

3) 35.5 tells you that 75% of the world's Chlorine is Chlorine-35, and 25% of the world's Chlorine is Chlorine-37. The formula to work this out is = (Mass x Abundance) + (Mass x Abundance) ... (in this question there are only 2 isotopes), then divide that by the total abundance (usually 100%), giving you 35.5
username2199397
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1) weighted means its been compared to other isotopes of the same element and its abundances - to get an average mass for an atom of the element.

2) Its because its Ar is "stable" (its Ar is a whole number - which is 12 so its easier to use to compare with other atoms because other atoms have an Ar with lots of decimals/ are odd numbers.)

3) It tells us that theres 75% abundance of cl-35 and 25% abundance of cl-37 ((75x35)+(35x25) divide by 100 = 35.5)
sfaraj
Rep:
?
AnnaRainbows Ishan_2000 i didnt learn anything about abundance in year 10/11 literally 0, this is all new to me. we learnt basics of isotopes and how they differ but thats it. thanks ishan for helping and shohaib712
Ishan_2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sfaraj)
AnnaRainbows Ishan_2000 i didnt learn anything about abundance in year 10/11 literally 0, this is all new to me. we learnt basics of isotopes and how they differ but thats it. thanks ishan for helping and shohaib712
Oh, ok, that's a bit weird. Anyway, you have learnt it now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (20)
6.31%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
11.04%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.67%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.51%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.36%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.42%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (30)
9.46%
Financial worries (22)
6.94%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (13)
4.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.99%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.89%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.73%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.57%

Watched Threads