Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Is the dream of studying medicine over? Bad A2 Results - Extenuating Circumstances? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I did fairly well in my AS Levels (AABB) and was predicted quite high for my A2's (A*AA), but ended up getting BBC on results day. Then my parents made me get them remarked and the C went down by 12 ums to a D - now I have BBD.

Although I didn't receive any offers for medicine last year (due to weak UKCAT and not enough work experience), I was hoping that I would have achieved the predicted grades and then re-applied.

I'm taking a gap year this year to resit as I know I was capable of those predicted grades. I was quite sick for the majority of last year as I was anaemic and was so tired and could barely concentrate in any of my lessons. I was put on medication after I took a blood test in early 2016. Everytime I was revising I felt like nothing was going in and I was trying so hard. Do I qualify for extenuating circumstances?

Is there any chance of me studying medicine now. Or should I just resit and study something else, and then apply as a graduate.

I had seen that Exeter do not discriminate against resit students, regardless of extenuating circumstances. I know a few other universities do allow resits only with extenuating circumstances.

Any help is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to the universities you are interested in and explain your extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmac123455)
    I did fairly well in my AS Levels (AABB) and was predicted quite high for my A2's (A*AA), but ended up getting BBC on results day. Then my parents made me get them remarked and the C went down by 12 ums to a D - now I have BBD.

Although I didn't receive any offers for medicine last year (due to weak UKCAT and not enough work experience), I was hoping that I would have achieved the predicted grades and then re-applied.

I'm taking a gap year this year to resit as I know I was capable of those predicted grades. I was quite sick for the majority of last year as I was anaemic and was so tired and could barely concentrate in any of my lessons. I was put on medication after I took a blood test in early 2016. Everytime I was revising I felt like nothing was going in and I was trying so hard. Do I qualify for extenuating circumstances?

Is there any chance of me studying medicine now. Or should I just resit and study something else, and then apply as a graduate.

I had seen that Exeter do not discriminate against resit students, regardless of extenuating circumstances. I know a few other universities do allow resits only with extenuating circumstances.

Did you tell your exam board about your extenuating circumstances before your results? If you think you can get AAA then definitely resit, if not then maybe try GEM.

ReputationRep:
    A few options are still available to you, but first you need to find out about the extenuating circumstances bit. Email the universities you're interested in, pester them until they reply. If it takes more than 2 weeks to receive a reply - call them. Once you find out about it, you can decide what to do next. So I'll just leave these few tips you can consider if you like:

Take a gap year and resit the exams if possible. Improve your academic achievements. Get work experience, volunteer. Stay proactive. Here's a guide that may help you decide on the activities during gap year: click me.

Another route could be, do a degree in life sciences and achieve well so you can apply as a graduate. Any route is competitive when it comes to medicine, but I'm sure being dedicated and hard working will take you there.

If you decide to take a gap year, you'll find out more about the career itself, who knows, maybe you'll discover new interests and choose a different career prospect.

I wish you the best of luck, so sorry to hear about the anaemia!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Did you tell your exam board about your extenuating circumstances before your results? If you think you can get AAA then definitely resit, if not then maybe try GEM.
    No. I didn't know it was possible to tell them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaRainbows)
    A few options are still available to you, but first you need to find out about the extenuating circumstances bit. Email the universities you're interested in, pester them until they reply. If it takes more than 2 weeks to receive a reply - call them. Once you find out about it, you can decide what to do next. So I'll just leave these few tips you can consider if you like:

Take a gap year and resit the exams if possible. Improve your academic achievements. Get work experience, volunteer. Stay proactive. Here's a guide that may help you decide on the activities during gap year: click me.

Another route could be, do a degree in life sciences and achieve well so you can apply as a graduate. Any route is competitive when it comes to medicine, but I'm sure being dedicated and hard working will take you there.

If you decide to take a gap year, you'll find out more about the career itself, who knows, maybe you'll discover new interests and choose a different career prospect.

I wish you the best of luck, so sorry to hear about the anaemia!
    Thanks. Btw do I email the universities admissions team?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Definitely don't give up medicine, your AS grades show you're definitely capable

ReputationRep:
    No. I didn't know it was possible to tell them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok, I'd talk to your exam boards/school and see what they say. Your clearly capable so id resit this year and reapply. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Btw do I email the universities admissions team?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, the admissions team

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'd talk to your exam boards/school and see what they say. Your clearly capable so id resit this year and reapply. Best of luck
    Thanks for the advice. What would I say to my school though? Barely anyone knew about my circumstances.

ReputationRep:

I think you should resit , the Bs should be able yo go up to As quite easily and just work hard on that D where did you apply last times and what was your Ukcat (I'm applying this year and mines soooooo low) ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannabeDoctora)
    I think you should resit , the Bs should be able yo go up to As quite easily and just work hard on that D where did you apply last times and what was your Ukcat (I'm applying this year and mines soooooo low) ?
    Yeah, both B's were fairly close, even after remarks (1 ums off an A in maths and 4 ums off an A in chemistry). The D was in Biology and most of my class did pretty bad too.

Last year I applied to Kings, Barts, St George's and UEA. I did pretty bad in my UKCAT last year - 632.5 average and Band 2 in SJT (got rejected from St Georges because it was too low). What did you get in your UKCAT? There are some universities that don't place a lot of importance on it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, both B's were fairly close, even after remarks (1 ums off an A in maths and 4 ums off an A in chemistry). The D was in Biology and most of my class did pretty bad too.

Last year I applied to Kings, Barts, St George's and UEA. I did pretty bad in my UKCAT last year - 632.5 average and Band 2 in SJT (got rejected from St Georges because it was too low). What did you get in your UKCAT? There are some universities that don't place a lot of importance on it.
    I'm sure youll get in next Year! I got 640 but I've been told by my school that it's really bad and also Manchester is where i really wanted to go but I've been told that it's waaay too low for them :/ did you get any interviews last time or just rejections?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure youll get in next Year! I got 640 but I've been told by my school that it's really bad and also Manchester is where i really wanted to go but I've been told that it's waaay too low for them :/ did you get any interviews last time or just rejections?
    I hope so. No interviews unfortunately. I applied to far too competitive unis - regret applying to Barts especially as one of my friends got 750 in the UKCAT, got all A's in AS and was predicted A*AA, and she was still rejected without interview.

Manchester might give you an interview for the widening participation (WP) if you live in an area where not a lot of people go to uni or your school is below average for results - I know this because one of my friends got an offer and her UKCAT was 650 and she got BBBC in AS. They'll lower your UKCAT requirement.
    You can check it here: http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/di...px?DocID=29623

and here:
    http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...ata/indicator/

I've heard that Cardiff don't place much weighting on the UKCAT. You might consider applying there?

ReputationRep:
    I hope so. No interviews unfortunately. I applied to far too competitive unis - regret applying to Barts especially as one of my friends got 750 in the UKCAT, got all A's in AS and was predicted A*AA, and she was still rejected without interview.

Manchester might give you an interview for the widening participation (WP) if you live in an area where not a lot of people go to uni or your school is below average for results - I know this because one of my friends got an offer and her UKCAT was 650 and she got BBBC in AS. They'll lower your UKCAT requirement.
    You can check it here: http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/di...px?DocID=29623

and here:
    http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate
    /applications/after-you-apply/contextual-data/indicator/

I've heard that Cardiff don't place much weighting on the UKCAT. You might consider applying there?
    Ok thank you, yeah I'm going to look around and if not I will take a gap year! Maybe keele as well but they want A*AA :/ good luck with your resits, I hope you get in

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you, yeah I'm going to look around and if not I will take a gap year! Maybe keele as well but they want A*AA :/ good luck with your resits, I hope you get in
    Thanks! I wish you all the best of luck with your A levels and your applications!

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I spoke one of the careers advisors at my sixth form and he said to give the letter from my GP so it can be used in my reference and can be sent to the unis. He also said that whilst it was worth including, it will only be part of the overall consideration to the application because medical schools expect evidence of academic achievement.

This has really confused me now, does that mean I apply to medicine at my own risk?

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I spoke one of the careers advisors at my sixth form and he said to give the letter from my GP so it can be used in my reference and can be sent to the unis. He also said that whilst it was worth including, it will only be part of the overall consideration to the application because medical schools expect evidence of academic achievement.

This has really confused me now, does that mean I apply to medicine at my own risk?
    Applying to medicine with BBD, even with extenuating circumstances you wont be accepted. Either resit and apply to the uni's which accept resits or try GEM.

ReputationRep:
    Applying to medicine with BBD, even with extenuating circumstances you wont be accepted. Either resit and apply to the uni's which accept resits or try GEM.
    I'm resitting anyway. The only uni is Exeter that doesn't mind. KCL and other unis are ok with resits but only in extenuating circumstances. I think KCL EMDP is ok with resits too.

Do you think it's worth applying to these?

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting anyway. The only uni is Exeter that doesn't mind. KCL and other unis are ok with resits but only in extenuating circumstances. I think KCL EMDP is ok with resits too.

Do you think it's worth applying to these?
    Ah ok. Yeh give them a shot, if you are in any doubt email the admissions tutors and they usually respond fairly quickly. I think Exeter has an A*AA offer tho, so bear that in mind. Have you taken the UKCAT yet?

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.