Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which newspaper/ media groups views best apply to you? (Eg The Telegraph)

Which newspaper/ media groups views least apply to you?

Who are your favourite Journalists/ Commentators (Eg Owen Jones)

Who are your least favourite Journalists?

ReputationRep:
    It has it's good and it's bad.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Including broadcast:

I like Global Radio and favourite station of the group is LBC. Favourite Journalist/Presenter is Ian Collins

In general:

I do like Douglas Murray

Least favourite Journlaist is probably Yasmin Alibhai-Brown.

ReputationRep:
    For me, respectively.

The Times

The Express/ Morning Star

Christopher Hitchens (rip), Dan Hodges, Douglas Murray, Alex Massie, Maajid Nawaaz, Polly Toynbee, Nick Cohen...

And I can't stand

Giles Fraser, Yasmin brown, Peter Hitchens, Taki , Tim Stanley...

ReputationRep:
    Most of it's unreliable and biased. Nowadays I trust Breitbart and RT more than the BBC and other so-called "unbiased" news agencies. RT and Breitbart have their biases as well, but at least they're not afraid to show certain stories and be called leftist buzzwords for doing it.

ReputationRep:
    The Independent

The Mail or The Express

James O'Brien

Katie Hopkins

(Original post by Peroxidation)
    Most of it's unreliable and biased. Nowadays I trust Breitbart and RT more than the BBC and other so-called "unbiased" news agencies. RT and Breitbart have their biases as well, but at least they're not afraid to show certain stories and be called leftist buzzwords for doing it.
    Despite being mostly left of centre I like Breitbart, they say what they think without giving a ****. RT is just conspiracy land though IMO.

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible for the media of any political leaning to be completely unbiased. Don't think the BBC is as biased as everyone says it is though.

Can't stand the Daily Mail and The Sun.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Davij038)

Telegraph.

Star

Andrew Neil. Jeremy Paxman, Evan Davis,

Owen Jones

ReputationRep:
    Don't go near it. Don't even go near it. Go near it and you're dead.... oops, did I get a bit carried away there? xp

ReputationRep:

Hmm, not sure. My favourites are Farage, Milo, Shapiro, etc.
    Also, Owen Jones is a filthy marxist.

ReputationRep:
    Generally quite biased and often unreliable. I prefer to read what I can from lots of different ones, as most of them have good stuff alongside the rubbish, and it can depend on the issue as well. The BBC is pretty neutral despite the constant propaganda against it.

Don't read around enough to have a "favourite journalist", but least favourites would be any of the people in right wing organisations who promote climate change denial and anti-environmentalism, like James Delingpole and Christopher Booker among others.

I also don't particularly like George Monbiot (often appears in the Guardian), given he is very strongly anti-shooting, seems to think everyone who goes shooting must be some sort of toff, and some of what he says about shooting is inaccurate or exaggerated/sensationalised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    Also, Owen Jones is a filthy marxist.
    The best type of Marxist.

ReputationRep:
    Dislike the BBC

ReputationRep:
    Which newspaper/ media groups views best apply to you? The Spectator

Which newspaper/ media groups views least apply to you? The Guardian, RT, Breitbart, The Canary, Vox, New Statesman etc

Who are your favourite Journalists/ Commentators Fraser Nelson, Christopher Hitchens RIP, Douglas Murray, David Starkey (even if just for lols). I'm sure I'm forgetting some

Who are your least favourite Journalists? Yasmin Brown, Laurie Penny, Owen Jones, that dweeb from Another Angry Voice if that counts.

As for an opinion on the media in general, people don't realise how vastly overstated its influence is and underestimate how switched on the population is. The job of media companies is to sell people's own views to them. For example, you won't buy The Guardian or The Mirror or subscribe to Vox if you're not already left-wing or subscribe to The Canary if you're not an extremist hate-filled hard-left idiot and you won't buy The Telegraph if you're not centre-right. And you won't subscribe to RT or Alex Jones if you're not already a semi-literate conspiracy theorist. Or Breitbart if you're not a far-right nut case.

People generally go for the media sources they already agree with. A lot of people will blame media conspiracies for when their parties get annihilated in elections or when most people disagree with their mad views but that's because they're too delusional to face up to the fact that people with functioning brains can look at an issue and come to a different conclusion to what they do. Their arrogance and egos can't handle this reality so they condemn everyone who disagrees with them (usually most people) as being stupid and unable to think for themselves without the media doing it for them. Naturally, all those who happen to agree with them are free-thinkers, of course, even though they usually swallow up everything their preferred media groups feed them.

People think the media dictates the mood on issues like foreign affairs, welfare, immigration, the NHS, business, fashion, crime, everything. But it's really the other way round and it's actually sometimes quite surprising how much the media lags behind and cottons on to the views of the people.

As a side note, a word on the BBC: it's funny how right-wing extremists call it left wing (the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation and calling the pre-selected Question Time audience The Politburo lol) and left-wing extremists call it right-wing (like going spare every time Laura Kuenssberg has the nerve to ask reasonable questions to their man like she did to the opposition). This strongly suggests it actually is balanced. Remember: it's not supposed to be impartial. A lot of people get confused here. It's supposed to be balanced.......not impartial. The Beeb grinds my gears often too but you have to be quite detached from reality if you can't admit it's at least fairly impartial, which is why only extremists on both sides dispute this.

Finally, just got to lol at people who call those who watch/read mainstream media and call them "sheep" while they swallow up Alex Jones, RT and Al Jazeera without question or even basic fact checking. Anyone else notice this often?

ReputationRep:
    KimKallstrom

Not sure David Starkey counts, but he is brilliant, even though I often disagree. Saw him live on QT and he took the piss out of some chavvy woman for fifteen minutes which they edited, which was hilarious.

'Why are you even here did you think this was big brother or something?'

TBF to Owen Jones, whilst his face and voice makes you want to punch something he's actually fairly reasonable at times and is open to right wing ideas and people.. There are certainly far worse culprits. He's getting called a blairite now by the corbynites!

Also his book- The Establishment is very good aside from one or two chapters.

ReputationRep:
    KimKallstrom

Not sure David Starkey counts, but he is brilliant, even though I often disagree. Saw him live on QT and he took the piss out of some chavvy woman for fifteen minutes which they edited, which was hilarious.

'Why are you even here did you think this was big brother or something?'

TBF to Owen Jones, whilst his face and voice makes you want to punch something he's actually fairly reasonable at times and is open to right wing ideas and people.. There are certainly far worse culprits. He's getting called a blairite now by the corbynites!

Also his book- The Establishment is very good aside from one or two chapters.
    I very much enjoyed Starkey exposing and destroying the wretched hypocrite Lawrie Penny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Which newspaper/ media groups views best apply to you? The Spectator

Which newspaper/ media groups views least apply to you? The Guardian, RT, Breitbart, The Canary, Vox, New Statesman etc

Who are your favourite Journalists/ Commentators Fraser Nelson, Christopher Hitchens RIP, Douglas Murray, David Starkey (even if just for lols). I'm sure I'm forgetting some

Who are your least favourite Journalists? Yasmin Brown, Laurie Penny, Owen Jones, that dweeb from Another Angry Voice if that counts.

As for an opinion on the media in general, people don't realise how vastly overstated its influence is and underestimate how switched on the population is. The job of media companies is to sell people's own views to them. For example, you won't buy The Guardian or The Mirror or subscribe to Vox if you're not already left-wing or subscribe to The Canary if you're not an extremist hate-filled hard-left idiot and you won't buy The Telegraph if you're not centre-right. And you won't subscribe to RT or Alex Jones if you're not already a semi-literate conspiracy theorist. Or Breitbart if you're not a far-right nut case.

People generally go for the media sources they already agree with. A lot of people will blame media conspiracies for when their parties get annihilated in elections or when most people disagree with their mad views but that's because they're too delusional to face up to the fact that people with functioning brains can look at an issue and come to a different conclusion to what they do. Their arrogance and egos can't handle this reality so they condemn everyone who disagrees with them (usually most people) as being stupid and unable to think for themselves without the media doing it for them. Naturally, all those who happen to agree with them are free-thinkers, of course, even though they usually swallow up everything their preferred media groups feed them.

People think the media dictates the mood on issues like foreign affairs, welfare, immigration, the NHS, business, fashion, crime, everything. But it's really the other way round and it's actually sometimes quite surprising how much the media lags behind and cottons on to the views of the people.

As a side note, a word on the BBC: it's funny how right-wing extremists call it left wing (the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation and calling the pre-selected Question Time audience The Politburo lol) and left-wing extremists call it right-wing (like going spare every time Laura Kuenssberg has the nerve to ask reasonable questions to their man like she did to the opposition). This strongly suggests it actually is balanced. Remember: it's not supposed to be impartial. A lot of people get confused here. It's supposed to be balanced.......not impartial. The Beeb grinds my gears often too but you have to be quite detached from reality if you can't admit it's at least fairly impartial, which is why only extremists on both sides dispute this.

Finally, just got to lol at people who call those who watch/read mainstream media and call them "sheep" while they swallow up Alex Jones, RT and Al Jazeera without question or even basic fact checking. Anyone else notice this often?
    This is where I really disagree with you. The relationship between public opinion and the media is far more nuanced than you suggest. Of course the media to an extent reflects public opinion, but it also on many occasions drives it. Suggesting that media outlets are not pushing their own agenda is incredibly naive.

Why do you think that Tony Blair and Alistair Campbell were so keen to get the media onside? Why do you think the very first thing they did was to get the Sun onside? Because Campbell, Blair and Mandleson, who were expert tacticians knew just how influential the media can be.

You make the point that 'left wing people won't buy right wing newspapers and right wing people won't buy left wing newspapers' etc. However you do not seem to appreciate the fact that the general public at large are not anywhere near as politically engaged as you are. Most people do not think in terms of right and left. Most people who buy the Sun don't think 'I'm right wing so i'm going to buy the Sun'. They buy it because its easy to read and has stories about girls, cars and football.

It's the same with the Daily Mail and the Mirror. People don't think 'i'm right wing so i'll read the Mail' or 'I'm left wing so i'll read the Mirror', they just read whatever is easiest.

While I accept that people who buy broadsheets will do so because it aligns with their political opinions, the same is simply not true for tabloid papers which have a far greater readership.

Many people rely on the media, and if all they see is story after story about how immigrants are taking our jobs, about how Ed Miliband hates Britain, about how immigrants are causing crime, about how Muslims in the UK hate us all etc, then they believe it.

You have no trouble is asserting that left wing people are hugely influenced by Owen Jones and copy him, so why can the same not be said for the right wing media?

What was quite telling was that when surveyed, the British people thought that 27% of benefit claims were fraudulent, the true figure was 0.7%. They thought that 20% of our population was Muslim, the true figure was 5% etc. The fact that the media obsesses over such issues, makes them seem a lot more prevalent to a great deal of people.

Note I am not saying I am not influenced by the media, of course not, everyone is. I'm just saying the media has a massive role in driving public opinion, which is why New Labour were so motivated to get them onside to great effect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.