Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 revision help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    PSYCHOLOGY A LEVEL

Hi guys,

Because of the new specification of linear exams for 2017, I took no psychology exams last year and so because of that I have to do an overall exam based on both AS and A2 content. The problem is, I really don't know how to manage this much work and how to remember everything by June this year. I am already forgetting my AS content.

Can someone please help me and give me tips on:

•How they revised n the quickest method that worked for them
    •Sites/books that are useful
    •How long they spent revising
    •How to remember the studies
    n any additional tips/tricks that you think may benefit me

I really want to do well! Please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vskimchi)

Quickest method doesn't exist. Psychology has so much content that unless you can perfectly remember everything as soon as you see it you'll need to go over it often.

That ties into how long. You need to be going over all your content every week. Each weekend go over every study, approach, perspective and any other content you need to remember. Doesn't have to be in maximum detail but go over all the key points you'll need. As you cover more content you'll need to spend longer revising it. Luckily after a while large chunks of it will be stuck in your mind and you won't need to focus on them.

How to remember them depends on you. For me I made lists of notes on each study with as little information as possible. For example my notes on Milgram might be 40 males, 100%, 300 volts, 65%, 450 volts. Just note down key facts you'll need to remember. This also helps when it comes to revising it

ReputationRep:
    If your teacher planned well enough, you'll have a few weeks before the exam dedicated to revision - saying that, you can't expect to go over 2y worth of content in that time.

Start practicing past papers and making concise notes. Eg, Social Influence might be 2 pages initially, but keep reducing your notes until it gets to one page or less. Or you can use some of the techniques you learned in Memory to help you put things into practice. (context dependent learning etc)

Do you have a checklist?
    Also, iteachpsych.tumblr.com is a good studyblr blog.

ReputationRep:
    PSYCHOLOGY A LEVEL

Hi guys,

Because of the new specification of linear exams for 2017, I took no psychology exams last year and so because of that I have to do an overall exam based on both AS and A2 content. The problem is, I really don't know how to manage this much work and how to remember everything by June this year. I am already forgetting my AS content.

Hi!
    Well, what I did when I was revising my notes was to draw a large mindmap and add drawings so that it would help aid your memory. It would be even better if you can explain it to people who do not study Psychology because my teacher had told me that when you are taking your exam, you need to explain it as if the examiners don't know anything about Psychology.
    The length of time you spend revising is actually dependent on you. I spend more than 5 hours a day revising for my Psychology alone leading up to my examinations.
    You can do it!!! Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

ReputationRep:
    PSYCHOLOGY A LEVEL

Hi guys,

Hello hello!

My name's Hiba - I'm a current honors psychology major and I'm an ex-A2 psych student on the AQA spec - I'm going to answer your questions as well as I can but here's my email so feel free to hit me up with whatever questions you may have.

1. I revised using these handouts I bought - they're like detailed but very clear and formatted and color coded and organized notes on every single unit in the AS and A2 course. They were the quickest way for me because it felt like they took a step of revision out of the equation, so I wasn't wasting my time picking out information, instead I was investing that time into understanding and memorizing said information.

2. Sites and books that are useful:
    - Hank Green's Crash Course Psychology series on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo4p...0jJY-uHOH9KVU6
    - http://www.sparknotes.com/psychology/

and I didn't use any books except for my handouts.

3. I tended to read through the handouts a couple of times, and then try and summarize them into flash cards or whatever little condensed form. And then go through them, do past paper questions (that were also on the handouts) and then repeat that if I feel like I can memorize/understand more. And then that was it, really. I just condensed and tested myself and it worked out great!

4. Reading through good notes and writing your own solid notes is for real the BEST way to retain information. You just have to do it actively, not passively. Read it out loud to yourself! Record it and play it back while you're doing anything else. I played my notes in the car the week before exams just to try it! Every little thing helps.

ReputationRep:
    Could you tell us where you brought the handouts from, please.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.